Clear filler?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francovendee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a wide oak board around 4 feet x 2 feet x 3 inches that I'm thinking of using as the top for a coffee table. The wood is over 100 years old and came from an old house.
The wood is sound but will need planning to get it flat as it warped a little. The bigger problem is there is a knot which has shrunk and caused some splits. I plan to varnish it and don't mind the knot but would like to fill the splits but not hide them. Is there any product that dries clear, can be sanded and will take varnish?

For small splits, pound shop superglue (CA) will work. Multiple applications to build it up above the surface. A deep glob of glue might bubble up white as it dries.

Epoxy for larger splits, but it tends to have a yellow tint.

In both cases, scrape or sand back to bare wood - any CA or epoxy between wood and varnish will show. And leave the fill to cure for several days before varnishing.

For small splits, pound shop superglue (CA) will work. Multiple applications to build it up above the surface. A deep glob of glue might bubble up white as it dries.

Epoxy for larger splits, but it tends to have a yellow tint.

In both cases, scrape or sand back to bare wood - any CA or epoxy between wood and varnish will show. And leave the fill to cure for several days before varnishing.
Thanks, I don't mind the filler showing a little, it'll show the defects in the wood which i rather like.
I have some west epoxy so will do some experimenting.

Tbh with splits that are any bigger than like a couple of millimetres, I’d advise that you just leave them as they are, more often than not they’ll end up looking 10 times worse when you fill them.
For an antique it’s all part of the character and it’s history.
Not to mention the fact that if it is an antique & worth something, refinishing it at all will devalue it, whatever state it’s currently in....
Something to bear in mind...
🙂

Latest posts

Back