Cleaning worktops finished with Chestnut finishing oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
We have a temporary worksurface in the kitchen that i finished with finishing oil. The wife had to clean some spills and got out the kitchen spray. I told her to wait until i know what you can and can't clean the surface down with.

Any help here, you know what it's like telling SWMBO that she can't clean :twisted:

Andy

With solid wood tops I advise clients to mop up the major part of the spill with a kitchen cloth first then wipe down with a mild detegent in warm water and wipe dry immediately. Repeat until clean. Don't soak the top and don't use abrasives (Scotchbrite or cleansing creams) or alkaline cleaners (like Cif). The tops need to be oiled and cleaned periodically in any case. I always start out with 3 to 4 coats of oil in ant case.

It's also a good idea to wipe-up gravy/curry/tomato purée spills immediately if you can as they will quickly discolour the top

Scrit

Scrit's advice sounds perfect to me, I don't think I can improve on it!

Thanks for the help. I can let here clean now :lol:

Scrit, you say solid wood tops. I have made this temp overtop with veneer over chipboard using press glue. Would you advise / not advise this for worktops.

Andy

I'm pretty certain that it should work just as well for veneered. The thing you're trying to protect is actually the finish. Any finish coating is pretty thin and oil, even polymerised oil with a dryer added (as I assume the Chestnut oil to be, perhaps Terry could comment?) won't take too kindly to abrasives or harsh alkalines. Lye or caustic soda (an alkali) is used to strip oil-based finishes such as varnish so I have assumed that most kitchen cleaners, also predominently alkali, would have the same effect, albeit in a much less aggressive way. The advice I give to worktop customers (in a snappily titled little brochure, "How to Care for Your New Work Top") is based on what I was given by a worktop fabricator long ago. That leaflet comes with a small bottle of oil, a pair of disposable gloves, a small grey Scotchbrite pad and some lint-free cotton cloth. - as well as my business card encapsulated in plastic. It pays to advertise. Maybe you need to give her the kit as well?

Scrit

...and I'd agree with that too! It is the finish that is 'vulnerable' here, so the same care and cleaning regime will be fine.

Back