Cleaning windows ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipL

Established Member
Reaction score
Second floor flat with Edinburgh sash windows. Easy to do the lower case (it hinges in) but how can I clean the upper sash without falling out? I asked a window cleaner with that long pole thingy who was out in the street how much he would charge. £50 for 6 windows, he said. Edinburgh tradesmen are something else.

So, any suggestions?

Philip

if They are sliding sash windows and the lower one tilts in for cleaning, then the upper one would normally tilt in too. Are you sure it doesn’t?

I agree with @Stuart Moffat and would think both should work in the same way.
Does it have a removable parting beads so you can swing the top sash ?

Otherwise bottom half from under and then pull it down and do the top half from over the top. Helps to have long arms.

Ollie

if They are sliding sash windows and the lower one tilts in for cleaning, then the upper one would normally tilt in too. Are you sure it doesn’t?

It doesn't tilt. It hinges inwards. Only the lower one works in that manner. It's a Scots thing. Called Simplex Hinges, I believe.

No never used one, but it always seemed a possibility for inaccessible windows. As you suggest, probably difficult to use on small panes.

You can reach the front of the top sash from the top when its right down.
The whole point of the simplex hinge is to let you reach the front of the bottom sash which otherwise is difficult from inside.

Latest posts

Back