Cleaning up and Finishing Ipe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fecn

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought myself some weathered Ipe hardwood decking which I plan to use for my steel framed wooden sliding gate (WIP.. will post pics when it's worthwhile)

Pic for the interested... Large so I didn't include it in the post.
http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/ebay/listings/decking/ipe_smooth3-lrg.jpg

Firstly, clean up... I've read that sanding is a bad idea for cleaning up Ipe since that actually exposes more of the surface which results in quicker weathering afterwards - I've seen several recommendations for using a pressure washer on Ipe and that's what I'm planning on currently... unless anyone tells me why I shouldn't.

I've read that I should seal any end cuts with wax, but am wondering what specific product is recommended.

I've also read that because Ipe is so dense, it doesn't soak up finishes like other woods. What would you recommend for protecting Ipe to keep the colour for a couple of years.

Thanks, Fecn

I have an Ipe deck and I also made an outdoor table with offcuts. I only used oil on the table but even so it faded within 6 months or so.

You can pressure wash it no problem and also it reverts to colour when its wet - so I have weathered grey decks in the summer and brown ones in the winter rain.

You'll need strong hardware for your gate - its very heavy indeed!

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back