Cleaning old planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have to be careful when using any dictionaries because they actually record common usage rather than correct usage. To say that something must be right because a dictionary says so is a non sequitur. Dictionaries also copied from each other without verification. One Websters Dictionary gave a "Dord" as a unit of density.............because a compiler had seen "D or d - a unit of density" in another dictionary and let it slip through without the spaces!
Andy, wouldn't I just love that on-line OED!

Etymology: apparently < tote, obsolete and dialect form of toot v.1 to project, stick out. (R. Holme belonged to Cheshire, where the vb. is still tote.)

Indeed they do Prof! :mrgreen:

And I am never every going to watch Morse again in protest!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Indignant! MOI! :wink:

Jim

To me it's a handle and not a tote. It's true that someone using a word, makes it valid. By the same token as I use the word handle, that must make it correct too! Fact is without one, a plane would be uncomfortable to use, or to tote around!

Cheers Jimi. :lol:

And Andy,

As often as not, I find anything you have to say, informative, interesting and erudite. This time was no exception and again you were correct. However, to me you did come across as a bit 'sniffy'. On second thoughts, maybe it was just me, and . perhaps I too was upset, when I changed my post.

As for the OED, to be of any use to me it needs to be the latest and most expensive version. Sadly, its something I see as a luxury, and I passed on the on-line version too. Anyhow, my apologies. Let's forget it and call a tote a handle, or a tote!

That's my a-tote-ment! (I doubt that is in the OED or Encarta. :) )

I'm pleased we got a handle on this topic (Coat on already and heading for the door :oops: )

The whole subject of handles and totes only really rears it's head in online fora, as everyday use here tends to call them handles and knobs. The only tote I'd heard of was open topped tool totes.

Handle = handle
Knob = knob
Cap iron = cap iron
Lever cap = lever cap

and so on ...............

On a related but slightly tangential subject...I once had a long drawn out conversation with an American mate of mine during the three years it took us to rebuild an MG.

Imagine the confusion that exists in terminology with just the visible and more common parts....fender/wing...trunk/boot etc.

Around the early 90s...Haynes Manuals obviously expanded a bit to the Colonies and decided to list a whole page translating English to American and there were loads of differences in terminology.

One evening over a few rum and cokes...(quite a few actually!)...we decided to end it once and for all and have a "Cambridge Debate" over each set of words and have an independent (and rather bored) judge decide who wins....

The score was 1/3rd made more sense in English....another 1/3rd in American and the last third....undecided/bored/confused the judge (my wife)!

And since an American invented the darn thing I think Leonard and his compatriots have the last word of ownership!

Now...what did I do with that wrench...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

That's a useful glossary Gary! :)

I'm not suggesting that we need to revive the word 'tote' or even 'toat' - I just wanted to confirm BB's statement that it was old enough to be English, not something invented in the US.

Sorry if I sounded sniffy John - I enjoy your posts too - I just don't like Microsoft's dictionary. :(

One further tip though - it really is worth having a look at what your local library service has paid for you to use on-line. John, yours are here I think: http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/websitesathome which does include the OED for free (as does Cornwall for Phil).

The searchable newspaper archives are good for any local / family / toolmaker historical research!

AndyT":27ut2w5e said:
Sorry if I sounded sniffy John - I enjoy your posts too - I just don't like Microsoft's dictionary. :(

Any port in a storm though for me Andy. :D

GazPal":27ut2w5e said:
Hi Andy :)

I don't mind using the word tote, but tend to carry tools in them rather than use one to hold onto. :D

:D :D :D

jimi43":1ibhf4zp said:
...and I'm using it so they can go swivel...and I don't mean "To cause to turn in alternate directions, or in either direction, on or as on an axis or pivot; to turn or cause to face in another direction" :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: =D> :rotfl:

Cheers, Vann.

GazPal":2y2vrd9w said:

I don't mind using the word tote, but tend to carry tools in them rather than use one to hold onto. :D

Does that mean that the thing you pick it up and carry it by is the tote tote?

Enough of this - we're not helping cliveskelton clean his plane up. Clive - you'll find that most planes, unless they are in really bad order, will clean up with a bit of white spirit and a toothbrush. Take the plane to bits fist, and clean each individual piece. Then sharpen the cutter, put a tiny drop of oil on the adjusting bits and on screwthreads, reassemble the plane, set it carefully to give a fine cut, and try it out. Try readjusting it to take the very finest of shavings, then try adjusting it to give a heavy cut. If it will do both, you don't really need to do much more to it (though you can tune it up more if you want to - see previous links in this thread).

Any serious rust can be removed by one of several methods - electrolysis, proprietary gloops such as Corrodip, or even careful application of wet-and-dry papers (finishing with a fine polishing grade). A squiggle of candle-wax along the sole of the plane helps it slide over the wood more freely. Just don't get too hung up about the process; all you need is a cleanish, flat sole, and cleanish sides, that don't leave brown marks on the workpiece.

Later, if you feel the need, there are a number of things you can do to improve a plane's performance a bit. However, do the basics first and use the plane a bit first. See if you enjoy using it - are the handles comfortable, does it feel 'right' using it. If not, you won't have wasted too much time on fettling a plane you won't want to use much.

Cheshirechappie":2cp6nn2z said:
GazPal":2cp6nn2z said:

Enough of this - we're not helping cliveskelton clean his plane up. Clive - you'll find that most planes, unless they are in really bad order, will clean up with a bit of white spirit and a toothbrush. Take the plane to bits fist, and clean each individual piece. Then sharpen the cutter, put a tiny drop of oil on the adjusting bits and on screwthreads, reassemble the plane, set it carefully to give a fine cut, and try it out. Try readjusting it to take the very finest of shavings, then try adjusting it to give a heavy cut. If it will do both, you don't really need to do much more to it (though you can tune it up more if you want to - see previous links in this thread).

Any serious rust can be removed by one of several methods - electrolysis, proprietary gloops such as Corrodip, or even careful application of wet-and-dry papers (finishing with a fine polishing grade). A squiggle of candle-wax along the sole of the plane helps it slide over the wood more freely. Just don't get too hung up about the process; all you need is a cleanish, flat sole, and cleanish sides, that don't leave brown marks on the workpiece.

Later, if you feel the need, there are a number of things you can do to improve a plane's performance a bit. However, do the basics first and use the plane a bit first. See if you enjoy using it - are the handles comfortable, does it feel 'right' using it. If not, you won't have wasted too much time on fettling a plane you won't want to use much.

The voice of sanity in a mad, mad world! :D

Cheshirechappie":z703q8fo said:
GazPal":z703q8fo said:

lol It could very well be a tool tote tote for toting tools. :lol:

:ho2
Oh dear, What have I started?

My sincere gratitude to each and every one of you. Jimi43 thanks for the links, I would like to offer you £1.00 for your bottle of Corro dip which is a 100% profit for you. :lol:

Bugbear & Morfa, Thanks to you also for the links, Lots for me to get my head around and lots of time for me to do it.

Cheshirechappie, thanks for the advice and I will leave it up to you all to discuss whether it`s a handle or a tote.

Merry Xmas to everyone.

" I crucified my hate and held the world within my hands, There`s you, the time, the logic or the reasons we dont understand". Jon Anderson.

I've just bought a 1 litre bottle of Hammerite rust remover dip which dilutes to 10 litres ( £9.99 from Yorkshire Trading which is supposedly half price). Haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping it's similar to Corrodip.

Bob

Back