Clean\Square tip TS Blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
I made my very first jig today! Surprised myself really, over 5yrs woodworking and never made a jig. :roll:

Anyway, it was a Mitre Spline Jig for the TS (pics, etc to follow). It came out very well, but it leaves a V pattern on the bottom of the groove. I'm sure I've seen saw blades that cut a 'clean' bottom. But I can not see any specifically for labelled in this way.

What do I need to search for to find these blades? Is there a special term?

If I understand your question correctly, generally rip blades have square tips and will therefore cut a square bottom.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16444

Cross cut blades have their tips at an angle, alternating which way they bevel every tip (ATB - alternate top bevel). Where they meet in the middle of the kerf they will form a V

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2360

Hopefully the diagrams will explain what I mean. You need a bog standard rip blade.

Mark

I've got a zero top rake Kity blade that I keep for just the same thing.

CMT don't do a zero rake (well not from axi)but the Felder ones are not too badly priced

Jason

You could drag your sorry butt over the other side and ask Cuttingsolutions advice

Screw Loose":3bos7ynv said:
You could drag your sorry butt over the other side and ask Cuttingsolutions advice
Strange reaction to a perfectly reasonable question?... - Rob

woodbloke":jji52c0j said:
Screw Loose":jji52c0j said:
Strange reaction to a perfectly reasonable question?... - Rob

Not really just directing the OP to a helpfull source in a lite hearted way

Ps like your avatar looks like you are use to landing on your butt :lol:

Screw Loose":2m66uhzi said:
Ps like your avatar looks like you are use to landing on your butt :lol:
What makes you think it's me?...I've never been on those things in my life and don't intend to - Rob

I noticed that virtually all CMT blades on the Axy site have a picture of the grinding angles for the carbide tips so you should be able to find one that has a left, right and a middle cutting tip - not sure of the technical term for them but I'm sure you know what I mean

I've got a triple chip ground Freud blade I bought with this in mind, alternate bevel with evry 3rd tooth flat topped (but with both corners chamfered). Sadly it doesn't work as planned becaause the flat top on that 3rd tooth is only level with the mid point on the bevel of the other teeth - make sense?

How about getting a cheap blade (or an old one ready for a sharpen) ground to your spec., the man Pete in Blackfen would probably do this for the price of a standard regrind, around 6-7 quid last time I had one done.

cheers all.

Excellent Idea Mark. I did look through the Freud site last night and was confused by their diagrams. You explanation makes it clearer. Will see if the missus will drive me over to drop the original Axi blade to him.

Flat....says it all

Alternate bevel
Alternate teeth with opposite bevel.

Triple chip
one tooth flat (square)
next tooth has 45 degree chamfer on each side of the tooth one third across. the middle bit being flat but 0.4 mm higher than the flat tooth.

Regards
getting flat in bottom of groove....use a dedicated grooving saw. (flat top)
or if you dont mind a little bit of chamfer (it would hardly be noticeable) use the triple chip.
or send a saw to your saw doctor and ask him to convert to flat top.

wizer":1mn2wqai said:
cheers all.

Excellent Idea Mark. I did look through the Freud site last night and was confused by their diagrams. You explanation makes it clearer. Will see if the missus will drive me over to drop the original Axi blade to him.

Ring first Tom, he can be hard to catch sometimes and I haven't used him for a while (soon to change as most of my blades could do with a seeing to).
Give me a shout if you haven't got the number.

Why all the hastle of getting special grinds when the Felder one I linked to at £20 will do exactly whats wanted, its ground totally flat.

Jason

EDIT I see my link was not going straight to the blade in question, try this

And Trend have six options for flat top blades in their industrial range

Jason

Back