Classic Hand Tools Email

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modernist":2e3win3l said:
Why does not having a 5 1/2 bother me when I have accumulated 4, 4 1/2,5,6, 7 and 8? They truly all have their uses and are just.......nice.
Well, that's now 98% of the UK output between three coll..... :lol: - Rob

Modernist":6crfqrnx said:
Why does not having a 5 1/2 bother me when I have accumulated 4, 4 1/2,5,6, 7 and 8?

Dunno :? I find that if you have all the other sizes, then the #5 and #5 1/2 become redundant. I have all bench plane sizes from #3 to #7 and hardly ever use the #5 and #5 1/2. They always seem to me to be neither one thing nor the other - too short to do the job of a long plane and too long to do the job of a short plane (if that makes sense :lol: ).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Well, bored with waiting for my standard 51/2 ordered at Ally Palley through Turners Retreat, I rang them this morning to ask when it might arrive and after a bit of to'ing and fro'ing was told 4 to 6 weeks :shock:

That made my mind up for me and I cancelled that order and rang CHT and now have a 41/2 and 51/2 anniversary models on order for delivery in the summer \:D/ :D

Paul C's comments notwithstanding, having tried both at the show, and the 51/2 at the Kent bash, I like the extra width and weight of them relative to the low angle LN equivalents that I currently have.

Will see how it goes, may move the LN LA smoother and jack on once I've lived with the Cliffies a while, or maybe not :-k :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

I've used the Cliffi's from time to time and they are good, no question. It's that two part cap-iron that irritates me intensley :evil: ...that and the 'Y' lever which appears to be made from Tesco's finest cheddar - Rob

The cost of an anniversary model No.7 would be £322.77 plus postage comapred with Workshop Heaven's price of £260 including postage for a standard piece.

A lot to pay for walnut handles and plane sack.

I would want it as a working plane and not for the showcase. So regretably not for me not even as a birthday present from my wife!

Richard

warrenr":3nojkbrn said:
The cost of an anniversary model No.7 would be £322.77 plus postage comapred with Workshop Heaven's price of £260 including postage for a standard piece.

A lot to pay for walnut handles and plane sack.

I would want it as a working plane and not for the showcase. So regretably not for me not even as a birthday present from my wife!

Richard

Mine will be used as normal Richard, which is admittedly not that often for me :roll: :oops: as I haven't been doing a lot of woodworking of late other than a bit of turning.

When I do start doing a bit more "proper" stuff though, hopefully next few months, will be happy to use them. Having the walnut handles and appreciating that they are a bit more special than the standard versions, which are great in themselves, just means I'll enjoy them all the more, whether using them or just cleaning Paul C's fingerprints off them :lol: .

I appreciate that not everyone will want or be able to justify the extra cost, but I'm lucky in that I can indulge myself a little, and I can satisfy my conscience that the extra spread over twenty years or so doesn't make much odds, and that if I want to move them on in the meantime there should be a ready market for them hopefully.

Cheers, Paul :D

Back