Clarke CWL6 drill chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougieH

Established Member
Reaction score
For anyone with an old Clarke CWL6 lathe, this is how I added a drill chuck for the tailstock. I bought a length (3ft) of 3/4in Whitworth (checked for size by trying a nut from the tailstock) threaded bar. Took it to a small engineering shop and had them cut an 8in length off it, and cut a new thread on one end to match the fitting required to screw on a drill chuck that came off an old cordless drill. Tested it tonight by drilling a 10mm hole through a 7in length of oak, from both ends. Most surprised it worked. Hope this is of interest to someone.

Doug

02022011161.jpg

Thats a neat little modification. I have one of these lathes somewhere, where did you get the three jaw chuck, I could only find the four jaw one which was a pain to centre.

Tin

Hi Tin, the chuck came with the lathe. It was my father-in-laws, and I inherited it after he died.

Doug

Hi
Hope this is the right place to ask this question, I have what I thought was a CWL6B and ordered a faceplate and 4 way Chuck from machine mart, they came and the thread was far to small to fit onto the lathe . I think I have a CWL6 which is an earlier version, I have some pics that will try to post if needed, but I need to know where to get a chuck that will fit this model.
There are no marks on this lathe other than 20 Inch woodworker, the sticker on the back where it says model is blank. I know this is a old long in the tooth model but I need a 4 or 3 way chuck for it, is there anyway of finding out what thread (pitch) is or do i just find a nut that fits the stock, and where I could buy a chuck for it please? Forgive me if I appear somewhat stupid here but I have little knowledge of lathes
I have contacted both Clarke and Machine mart both of whom could tell nothing about this lathe and told me to ask in in internet forums.
Regards
Simon

Hi Simon, if you have the same lathe as I do, the thread is 3/4in Whitworth, which is 3/4in with 10tpi I think it is. Unfortunately nobody seems to do any accessories with that thread size. However, if you take the tailstock spindle to your local friendly engineering shop, I`m sure they could make an adapter fairly cheaply. Just have the other end cut to a new chuck thread. I have to say, I am turning most of my humble efforts on a faceplate with double sided sticky tape. Hope this helps.

Doug

Hi there Doug
Thanks for the advice, Ill have to go hunt out somewhere local. Being in the Black country I hope it won't be too hard...
Regards
Simon

Latest posts

Back