Clark router into a router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryfry

Reaction score
Hi Guys and hello from a newbie. Here is my question, not sure its in the right place but here goes. I am in the process of building a new router table, (planning stage, LOL), and want to know if it is possable to put a plunge router into a table. I was wondering if i could maybe take the sprung part of the router off so i can use a router lifter i was wanting to make.

Any help would be greatfully accepted.

Brian

Hi and welcome.

I use a plunge router in my table, so yes it is possible. If you post a pic we may be able to identify whether there are any other parts available ie fine height adjusters etc. If so it will make life easier once in the table. :)

i think that most woodworkers put plunge routers into tables in the UK. There seem to be relatively few fixed base models available.

Hi and thanks for the quick reply, my router is a Clarke CR2 1/2 router and i want to make my own table incorperating the lifter i found on here that is from the shopnotes issue 121. But my question is would it be best to take the router to bits and remove the springs, if this is even possible?

Cheers

Brian

no, try it as is first. the only thing that removing the springs will do is lessen the resistance- it should work without though.

It probably isnt a bog job to remove them if you choose to do so later.

I think normally with router lifts using plunge routers. The routers are locked into place at the max plunge, the lift then just moves the whole thing up/down. So the springs being removed won't make a difference. Only if you use a fine height adjuster on the router is when the springs will make life a bit harder.

Thanks for that, would you remove the base plate assembly before fitting. The reason i ask is that is i was wondering how i would access the collet to change bits?

Cheers,

Bry

Yes you take of the base plate. It depends on your lift? Some lifts allow above table bit changes, others don't.

Thanks for your help, i will post some pics when finished but dont hold your breath .........LOL. Will be a while as is an ongoing project and have to fit in with all the other jobs.

There are two reasons to consider the springs.

Firstly, if the plunge lock slips at all. It's annoying handheld, but can be a total disaster in a table, for example if you're making grooves with a horizontal cutter. My spare 1/2" router does this, and I came to distrust it when table mounted.

Secondly, if the lock is on only one side, and the guides are at all loose fitting, the asymmetry can cause it to tilt slightly out of the perpendicular. I have a little old Bosch that does this. It's quite annoying, but on that one the springs are easily removed.

Look at the car scissor-jack designs for router raising under the table. They get round both these problems, as long as the back of the router is strong enough to take the force.

E.

Thanks for that Mick that is the same router that i have but i want to work out a different way of lifting the router.

I will post some pics when i have built it but like i said might take a bit LOL.

Back