Clarification on PayPay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Can any one give me clarification on Payment from PayPal.
I do not sell very often must be over a year now and then was cash on collection, but this time it will be receiving money through PayPal.
I have registered my debit card but what I don't understand is dose the money to me go in to my bank automatically, it will be about £45.
Reg

Payments usually go into your paypal account and then you transfer to bank...if you have paypal account obviously.. Payments appear in your paypal account as soon as customer pay's.

Banks payment show's in your account within 2 hrs normally.

You have to transfer it out of your Paypal account into your bank.

Pete

Racers":12qbwvtn said:

Pete
Which they use to charge you for ;) I use to just leave it in PayPal account until I wanted something that needed paying by PayPal.

ColeyS1":2190f3rj said:
Racers":2190f3rj said:

Pete
Which they use to charge you for ;) I use to just leave it in PayPal account until I wanted something that needed paying by PayPal.
There's no charge now and hasn't been for quite a while.

ColeyS1":28xp6hg2 said:
Racers":28xp6hg2 said:

Pete

Unless you have sold a couple of camera lenses and spent a lot more on another one, and need to placate the wife.

:D

Pete

RogerP":3ror6u5h said:
ColeyS1":3ror6u5h said:
Racers":3ror6u5h said:

Pete
There's no charge now and hasn't been for quite a while.
Now that is worth knowing !!! It's been one of several thing's that has made me question selling stuff on ebay again.

They still take their 4% or whatever.

I work on the basis that eBay and PayPal between (which of course belongs to eBay) take 15% of the final auction price AND the shipping cost.

I still sell on eBay but it's got to the point that one more increase from them will be one too many and I'll be gone.

RogerP":1pq247n0 said:

I work on the basis that eBay and PayPal between (which of course belongs to eBay) take 15% of the final auction price AND the shipping cost.

I still sell on eBay but it's got to the point that one more increase from them will be one too many and I'll be gone.
Are you saying PayPal still take 4% of what ever you decide to transfer back to your bank account ? Im confused now :?

ColeyS1":mazqoylv said:
RogerP":mazqoylv said:

Are you saying PayPal still take 4% of what ever you decide to transfer back to your bank account ? Im confused now :?

No, they take 4% before it's credited to your account. You can withdraw free any/all of the account balance.

RogerP":1akmfmjm said:
ColeyS1":1akmfmjm said:
RogerP":1akmfmjm said:

No, they take 4% before it's credited to your account. You can withdraw free any/all of the account balance.

Spot on. But because PayPal can take your money back again if they want to from your bank account (and if the other party kicks up - either legitimately or not) I have a separate bank account with a different bank that is associated with my PayPal account. As soon as I have transferred funds into this bank account then I whisk it off and away.

Spot on. But because PayPal can take your money back again if they want to from your bank account (and if the other party kicks up - either legitimately or not) I have a separate bank account with a different bank that is associated with my PayPal account. As soon as I have transferred funds into this bank account then I whisk it off and away.
I've been with PayPal/eBay more-or-less from the beginning (before eBay bought PayPal that is) and have had many thousand transactions and I've never had a problem with them that hasn't been amicably resolved. I know there are horror stories about but that's not been my experience.

In the unlikely event that a buyer does a chargeback PayPal will debit your account. If there's no money or not enough and you decline to pay they will pursue their claim in the civil courts. Just like any other creditor can do.

RogerP":17w6ezb6 said:

In the unlikely event that a buyer does a chargeback PayPal will debit your account. If there's no money or not enough and you decline to pay they will pursue their claim in the civil courts. Just like any other creditor can do.

Correct and nothing wrong with that but at least you would then be arguing (conceivably) from a position of strength. If PayPal decide to take money from your account then you are immediately on the back foot and you will spend much more time and emotion trying to get the money back. If ever. For starters, you can't take PayPal to court because they are outside the UK's jurisdiction.

RogerS":3xgpw2mm said:
RogerP":3xgpw2mm said:

Correct and nothing wrong with that but at least you would then be arguing (conceivably) from a position of strength. If PayPal decide to take money from your account then you are immediately on the back foot and you will spend much more time and emotion trying to get the money back. If ever. For starters, you can't take PayPal to court because they are outside the UK's jurisdiction.

Interesting. How come PayPal could sue me but I can't sue them?

regards

Brian

I got £50 for my item this included p & p, this is what I done, my wife ordered 2 lamp shades and I ordered 1 car cover, this leaves in my PayPal account £6 and a bit.
Well pleased.

As I've said in an earlier post in this thread I have no issue with PayPal after many years of association.

However it is as well to remember that they are effectively loaning you money when you take a payment and withdraw it instantly. They only get the payment from the buyer after the banking wheels have ground their slow way through the system.

If there is a problem and they can't get the payment that is when the dreaded recharge happens. This is why there are certain restrictions initially on new users as to when and how much they can withdraw.

Over many years and thousands of transactions I've only had one recharge and that was sorted out, in my favour, by PayPal over the phone.

brianhabby":18ubczgd said:
RogerS":18ubczgd said:
RogerP":18ubczgd said:

Interesting. How come PayPal could sue me but I can't sue them?

regards

Brian

Thanks for the nudge, Brian, as a little research seems to suggest that I'm wrong (which TBH I am glad about)... http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Archive- ... d-p/386557

Latest posts

Back