Clamp Refurbishment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
memzey":3nmalfju said:
Are we cramp snobs on this site all of a sudden (is that even a thing)?
Not just just all of a sudden. Goes way back.

(And isn't just confined to clamps).

Dalboy":3nmalfju said:
My comment was on the assumption that they were G clamps not sash clamps and I hold my hand up to getting that bit wrong
But even if they were Gs, the pic shows square threads (or possibly Acme), not bottom-of-the-barrel V-threading. If they get that bit right how bad can the rest of the clamp be? Don't answer that, I know how bad the rest can be :)

Well, that escalated quickly!

I'm a recently started hobbyist so I don't have much knowledge on the quality of historical clamp/cramp manufacturers. Ideally, with unlimited finances, I would have bought some new Bessey pipe clamps but I got these 5 for less than the price of one Bessey. If they are not up to any kind of clamping job then I'll have learned something at least.
I 'm also retired so spending my time more wisely is irrelevant and I like to repair things to the best standard I can manage so I will enjoy remaking the tommy bars. I didn't know they were called tommy bars so I've learned something already.

Steve

Good for you Steve. Good luck with the refurb, something more to learn possibly, and no loss apart from a bit of time, which being retired, is your's to "spend" as you like. (Nice isn't it?) :D

I especially like the bit about "finance --- guarded".

Oh so true, especially since the UK portion of my pension (reckoned in £s natch) is converted by my bank into Swiss Francs. NOT very funny! (But "time rich", yeah - relatively speaking - though since retirement I sometimes wonder where on earth I ever found enough time to even just go to work)!

Welcome to the club Sammy :D

Simple job to make new Tommy bars and doesn't need much in the way of tools. Buy a length of steel rod of the right diameter, cut to the length needed for a tommy bar, even a junior hacksaw should cope with this. You will need a die stock and suitable die for the diameter of rod, cut a short thread on each end of the rod and screw a nut on each end. Few ways of stopping the nuts unscrewing , epoxy, locktite or just centre punch the junction of the thread between the nut and rod at the end of the bar. Either use as it is or turn the nuts against a grinder when installed to round off. Have done the same in the past although I did have access to a lathe so could use round bar instead of nuts.

Back