Clamp guides - the good bad and ugly.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would not

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought some of these from Axminster http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=809831&name=clamp+guide&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44

I've just left a review on their website as they aren't that good. They sometimes let go mid cut which isn't very help full and even if they keep a grip on the material there's too much free play between the plastic jaws and ally track that it moves slightly while you're cutting. So cutting a 8' x 4' sheet of ply you end up with a dished cut.

Can anyone recommend a rock solid clamp guide that grips like +#&* to a shovel and doesn't flex, move or otherwise give you a wavey cut?

Hi,

Same here, 2 trend ones both excellent.

Pete

As Paul says, Trend seem to be the best in my experience as well, cheaper or own make ones I've tried have always just been hassle or pretty poor.......

Or make yourself a couple from mdf to use with ordinary clamps, if you make them from two layers, the top layer being narrower than the bottom, use the top layer edge to run the circular saw against and cut through the bottom wider layer. Then you don't have to worry about measuring offsets from a clamp guide to match your saw, just position the cut bottom edge of the rail you've just made so the saw blade runs on the waste side of the line you are cutting.

Much simpler to do than describe, maybe somebody else can explain better :lol:

That's the cheap alternative to a Festool or whatever and rail guide !

Cheers, Paul :D

Can't remember where I got mine but it's the same. Rubbish.

Make your own saw board.

I've always seen those things as terrible, even the trend one's. I know someone who made the same comments you have about the trend one. I have the Festool guide and saw. I just line the guide up no clamps needed and put my saw into it.

Dewalt and other companies have these types of guides and saws. To me it just seems like the right tool for the right job scenario. If you don't have the room for a table saw and want good results there are plenty of solutions out there, but they all cost money.

I have ones from Tilgear and so far so good. I'm only using them to dimension sheets with my circular saw or guides for the jigsaw though. Decently priced too. I have the 24" and 50" versions. Typically I could now do with the 36" one... next month :)

Thanks for all your replies guys, I think I'll make some of my own as Paulm describes when I get a min.. After seeing the short falls of the clamping system on the cheapo ones I have an idea of my own clamping design which I hope will work well. :lol:

I don't know if it helps but I made my own saw/router guide out of some laminate as Paulm describes. I also added some non slip tape from Lidl to the back and I can now use them without clamps similar to the Festool system. HTH :wink:

I have owned one for 2 or 3 years, it's from Rutlands, and I can't fault it. The first one I bought was from Be in a Queue, and it was total rubbish. The moveable part was "designed" to grip on un-square edges, but what actually happened was that it moved sideways at the worst possible time, i.e. in use!
I took it back the same day as I bought it, and they refunded the price without batting an eyelid. I think it had "gator" in the name...
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tool...ide-system/DKG36/clamp-grip-guides-with-scale

I've got a couple of the the Progrip guide clamps and I reckon they're pretty good. You have to make sure the jaw hard up against the far end of the work before you push the lever down to tighten it, otherwise there is a bit of sideways play, but that's just getting used to how it works. But...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-ProG ... 802863.htm

...I made the mistake of buying the universal base, thinking it would be better than anything I could make. Wrong - it's rubbish, and looks like it's been made by a chimp. My base was actually a warped piece of acrylic, and the slider is very loose in the clamp guide. I've modified it, with a new base and some little nylon machine screws to take up the sloppiness.

However, the featherboards are very useful and quite cheap too - I use them on the spindle for small stuff, beading and suchlike, and also on the router table.

With a router and guide bush, it's easy to cut accurate grooves and slots for shelves etc using two guide clamps and a spacer batten to position them.

I have tried the double board idea and it works but I have had a thought. :idea:

Do you think that if I stick some of that 'router mat' to the bottom I could do away with the clamps?

How does the Festool system stick to the workpiece without clamps?

Mick

I've had something similar I got about 12 years ago. Had the same issue when using it recently then realised that there is an allen grub screw on the clamp bottom to take out the slack. Are sure the axi one hasn't got the same?

I have a Trend one and a cheaper (and better) ProGrip one. I haven't had any problems with them slipping in use with either the CS or router. Having said that I use a home made saw board (or router guide) out of preference to either of them. You just set it on the line, clamp and cut, no measuring off-sets. I do use them as drill press, band saw or router table fences and have been thinking about getting some of the feather board attachments (got them saved for later on the Axminster website for when I need to make up an order and get "free" delivery.

I have one 36" Trend (early design), which has been invaluable. I've only ever used it as a router/saw guide and straightedge, never for actual clamping, and it's been brilliant. I do always check it's solid before use, and it's never come adrift. It came with a pair of brown compressed-card inserts that were supposed to stop it marking surfaces. This they do, but they also seem to improve the grip substantially.

It wasn't cheap, but I've been surprised at how well it works.

Trend & ProGrip - both excellent, use them a lot. Could do with a smaller size, though.
Silverline - don't bother... It may be straight but it ain't a clamp!

MickCheese":oj4jx8e4 said:
I have tried the double board idea and it works but I have had a thought. :idea:

Do you think that if I stick some of that 'router mat' to the bottom I could do away with the clamps?

How does the Festool system stick to the workpiece without clamps?

Mick

I think Mailee mentioned non-slip tape earlier in the thread.

I'd also be keen to hear any ideas on how to make this work.

I'm pretty convinced the clamp design (and material) makes a huge difference to the effectiveness.

My Trend 36" one is old, and the aluminium extrusion that Trend currently use is not the same as mine (don't know if the new version is better or worse). BUT the Progrip extrusions look similar to mine in shape (not quite identical), and the clamp mech looks jolly near exactly the same (the Progrip lever is slightly longer - probably a good thing).

Mine works very well so I'd expect the Progrip ones to do so too. And they're cheap...

I have one of the one's that preceded the Trend re-badging and it's rock solid every time; can't say the same for the Rutlands ones. But for use with a circular saw I wouldn't swap either for my homemade sawboard either.

Back