Cladding concrete pillars

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AidanB

Reaction score
Hi, a client has asked me to quote for cladding two conrete pillars in her house in timber and i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how i could go about this.
Ive tried to make it clear in my poor attempt at skecthup but the problem with the pillars is that they're so close to the edge of the landing, only about 20mm to work with on two sides.
She wants them to be done in a mahogany finish so a was going to use veneered mdf and clad them in a hexagonal shape but i was wondering how i would fix them to the pillars then since i wont have any room to put a moulding to cover up any gaps/fixings at the top.
Any help would be much appreciated as i need all the work i can get at the moment!

landing.png

Aidan, is that the exact shape in your drawing I imagine the acute angle is going to be hard to cut on the bottom left and right angles.

If it were a straight forward square then I would suggest a rail saw to cut it then you can 45 mitre the corners and maybe biscuit them aswell. I have done several of these in the past. Another way to fix it is with the new DRYFIX dot and dab in a can spray foam or just use grounds but it sounds like you dont have much room for that.

EDIT just looked again are the pillars just the circles in your drawing and the rest is just free space if so could you not make the casing rectangular or square to simplify things.

yes sorry the pillars are the circles in the drawing, i would've cladded them in just a square shape but the space i have to work with wont allow for that. the only reason for the hexagonal shape is that it roughly follows to lines of the space i have to use

hi aiden,from my experiance you should glue on your timber grounds the previous day (gripfil solvant based ) and may be used prefinished mahogany touching up any fixing holes

Back