Circular saws (Festool TS55 & Makita 18v cordless).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomba26

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been considering buying a circlular saw/guide rail saw system for a while, having used an old Makita 5703 and straight edge up until now. Specifically I am looking at purchasing a Festool TS55 having seen a couple out on site. What sold it was one of the guys using it said it made his planer virtually redundant now when shooting doors.......reckoned it would take as little as 2mm to nothing on a stile no problem and it wouldn't need tickling with a planer after.

However I am also considering adding a Makita 18v lithium circular saw (as well as the TS55) as I already have batteries and charger, as I thought it might have it's uses at times where I might just need to make an odd quick cut. It would save time setting up with transformer (almost all my kit is 110v) , extention leads, etc. I had to do a job the other day in a confined space in a loft and found myself using a handsaw and thought the battery makita would have been ideal.
Anyone use a battery circular as well as a guide rail system, do you find the battery saw gets enough use to justify buying?

Also for those of you using a TS55 how do you find joining the rails, is it easy and are they rigid when done? I know I get a 1400mm rail with the saw but am thinking of adding another rail to join onto this for ripping down 8x4 sheets. I know you can get a single rail long enough to do just this but they are expensive.

Welcome. There are a few TS55 owners here, myself included, and I don't think you'll find anyone arguing against them. There are cheaper options from DeWalt and Makita, and alternatives from Maffel, but overall the satisfaction rating is pretty high ;)

I agree with your colleague - I think I've used my planer twice in the five years I've had the TS55; enjoy that first Festool blade - you'll never get another that seems as sharp!

I bought an extra 1400 rail wih my saw and have no problem joining them securely - there are two joining bars with two grub screws in each, so it stays pretty solid, and is much easier to transport than a long rail. You can use a straightedge against the back of the rail to make sure they're in line, or just run the saw over the join before finally tightening the screws. The shorter rails (800 and 1080) are handy as well.

Sorry, can't help with the battery saw - I'm sure someone will be along with an opinion soon, though...

HTH, Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete.
What clamps did you get with your saw, I see there are a few versions available (quick clamps, twist clamps, etc)?

Your decision is a no-brainer. Get the Festool. Battery operated saws are great for taking down to B&Q.

You don't need any clamps either as the rubber underneath holds the rails firm as anything. Even on slippery MFC.

And get a cheapie seconds sheet of Kingspan that you can lay down on the floor and cut your sheet material on top of it.

Roger beat me to it, but I would say forget the
kingspan and use a sheet of polystyrene as the foil on kingspan will dull your blade.

I have a pair of the screw clamps and the quick clamps - I much prefer the quick clamps, but just about the only time I clamp a rail is when I'm doing a bevel cut - as RogerS says, the grippy stuff under the rail works very well!

Cheers, Pete

The Makita lithium saw is excellent, i cut 40mm worktops with mine.

Had it about 3 years & it`s still going strong, cmt do a narrow kerf blade for it which is also excellent.

If you`ve got the batteries already, then you can get the body only quite cheaply.

Cheers.

Doug.

Let me start by saying i'm not a pro.

That said, i've pretty much been around my whole house. I have the 18V. Makita circular saw which i use for those odd jobs. Then i have the TS55 for the more important and accurate stuff.
I spent all day sunday working on in-laws cabin and used the 18V. Makita stuff as there's no power there. Beautiful.
Get a good load of the Makita blades that comes with it too! They're really great.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that the TS 55 and the 18V. Makita saw is a great combo for a LOT of jobs.

Thanks again for all the replies folks. :)
I'm just about to order my TS55 through Axminster as I have a large-ish credit with them. I understand the saw comes with a 1400mm rail as standard and I was going to purchase another 1400mm rail so I could join them together for 8x4 sheets. Is there anything else that make the saw easier/faster in use or worth having.....(they sell TS55 accessories including parallel stops, additional splinterguards, limit stops, adjustable bevel, etc)?
Thanks.

The limit stops are good if you do a lot of plunge cuts ie sink cut outs , they stop the saw kicking back. Rail wise only you will know what you need i got 2 1400's to start with but ended up getting a 2700 and now have an 800 too. The standard clamps are handy when doing bevelled cuts. I have just bought the parallel guides handy when cutting up lots of sheet goods.

If you need any accesories try www.powertoolworld.co.uk

They seem to be the cheapest online.

Thanks Chippie.
Which parallel guide did you go for, it looks like there are two....one with a single arm as with most circular saws, which costs about £10 or the twin arm one (which can also be a table extension) and costs £30?
Also it looks as though there are 3 different stop adapters, do you know which ones fit the TS55 rails?

Neither of those parallel guides, they are of very very limited worth given a large part of the concept is the guide rail.

Chippy is referring to the parallel guide set that allow you do repeat cuts with the guide-rail - they set an (adjustable) distance from edge of sheet to the guide rail.

Back