circular saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moon

Reaction score
Hey guys :)

Im thinking about getting a circular saw and guide. I would use it for cutting doors and panels to length (providing has good finish cut), and would also use it to rip boards down.

I have had a look through the forum archive and it seems everyone likes the festool at about £400 (TS55 i believe it is), thing is tho i am not a professional so it would be for my own projects which makes me wonder if its worth it or not? (i am a keen woodworker though)

So i was wondering what advice you can give me.

I dont have room for a table saw etc so this would be ideal. Im open to the festool but perhaps there is something cheaper available that would do the trick? Or do you get what you pay for so to speak?

If there is a cheaper option then i would make my own guide (seen a few good threads about it), but whats the best option saw wise?

All advice welcome

moon

Don't know anyone who's bought the TS55 and regretted it. Other plunge saws are the Makita, DeWalt and Mafell, in ascending price. I think Bosch may make a cheaper one that runs on a guide, but doesn't plunge??

I have the Festool, have used the DeWalt and Mafell, and 'played with' the Makita. This was after I'd bought mine, so it was more out of curiosity than with a view to purchasing, and TBH they all do a similar job with slight variations. The max. depth of cut is the same on all the current models; I seem to remember someone on here (Karl?) had the DeWalt but swapped it for a Makita, and I think he did a mini-review of it - you can probably turn it up with a search.

<runs to check> - yes, Karl's review was tacked onto this thread:- makita-guide-rails-now-with-review-t45087.html

FWIW people made perfectly decent cuts before plunge saws and guide-rails (myself included) but it's nice to have decent kit and they do speed things up hugely so you pays your money and makes your choice - and it's always good to have a choice!

HTH Pete

I've got the Makita plunge saw and guide rail, I upgraded from using a circular saw with a batten clamped to the workpiece, and it does indeed speed things up vastly. I originally bought it just for cutting down 8x4 sheets and it's been used for quite a few things other than that. I've never used the Festool, or any other for that matter, but I can highly recommend the Makita, it's not missed a beat yet.

Hope that helps, Cheers _Dan

I've had a 7 1/4" Makita for about 2 years and not needed it much but since buying the Festool TS55, I've done a lot more and far more accurately. (Probably my cack-handedness before)
The dearer tools are a bit of a gulp moment but the delight in using the makes up for it. Whatever you get, don't compromise on the blades!

I read a review about a week ago about the bosch track, it implied that other makes of saw could be used on it, which in my case would be handy as i already have a circular saw i`m happy with.

I`m presuming this is a new track as it was being reviewed in a mag, i`ve not seen anything else about it but would be interested to learn more, it would certainly save money on buying a full set.

Cheers.

Back