CIRCULAR SAW BLADE VS MITRE ARE THE SAME?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A blade for a mitre saw has a negative rake angle on the teeth. This is to stop the timber being picked up at the back of the blade. A table saw or a hand held circular saw has a positive rake on the teeth to keep the timber pulled onto the table top or base plate. It could be used on your mitre saw but I would not like to try it without a clamp holding the timber. HTH :wink:

You need a negative rake blade for cutting aluminium and as far as I know any blade listed as for cutting metal will have that negative rake, I use them a lot (DW712) and have not found any that don't.
Usual advice to a degree. better cuts with more teeth, Hold the workpiece FIRMLY.
DON'T cut without safety glasses
try not to cut small pieces off, I have seen too many offcuts flying around to be healthy.
If you do have to cut small bits, use some timber to put the angle on and cut through the lot.
Don't lift the blade until it has stopped, the offcut WILL pick up, and even following these rules I have had to replace the fence on my 712 as an offcut took a large chunck out of it :!: :!:
I have been doing this for years and still have a VERY healthy respect for what can happen. (pieces stuck in walls and ceilings spring to mind)
Just hope this doesn't put you off :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for the replies, look likes the ones I bought is neutral angle (not positive or negative) or slily negative

bladekw0.gif

. but after reading last post make me nervous play with aluminium in my saw :shock:

Andy,

Looking at that picture, you have a negative rake blade there. Just the thing for cutting aluminium, but clamping the job down is a must, both sides of the cut, with a wood packing piece if required and you should be OK.

Back