Chuffed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a quick glance before it changed to tell me that bidding had finished. Looks good! The nearest I had to that was a treadle fret saw. Great bit of kit, but I had to do some work to get it runing smoothly. Good exercise too. I'm sure that you will love it..

What bit of the S/W are you in?

john it used to get me at first, but just scroll down the page and the whole listing is there.

sue a lovely looking lathe, but when i used a pole lathe the novelty did wear off very quickly. although im sure a motor could be fitted some how.

adidat

im sure you will enjoy it
personally i feel a treadle lathe is a bit limiting, it will be hard to keep a smooth even cut going when pumping the treadle and it will be impossible to reach the high speeds often used when turning
looking at the headstock and tailstock it seems their is no way of attaching any other pieces of kit to the lathe (chucks and other fitments).
not for me, but maybe you have an interest in antique tools?
and how do you feel about the price?
mike.

The price was a little more than I wanted to pay but it is local to family so no transport costs.
I have a 'real' lathe too so no worries about other works etc. I don't have any interest in old tools but I do like this one.

We are into our fifth year in France and have no regrets. Children love the area.

I got fed up with the overcrowding in the UK

I intend to create some tooling for the lathe without destroying any of the original features. Need to get it over here first.

Thanks for the interest.

Regards Sue

I look forward to seeing some photos of it when you have it back home Sue! It will be ideal for green turning. Very sharp tools and lots of ribbons too!

Edit : - Try googling treadle wood turning lathe. there's loads of info on there. I haven't looked at much, but there may well be help for tooling?

Very cool, Sue. Looks to be in good shape. Hard to say what the bearings are, babbitt or bronze, but given the description of the extra headstock it's probably not plain iron.

Now you can start searching for the scroll saw attachment:) :

4982-B.jpg

Full entry on the Goodell lathe: http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=4982

Kirk

Went to the Uk and finally picked up the treadle lathe. Very pleased with it and looking forward to making lots of fire wood on it !

It spent two weeks in the back of the landrover in hot weather and as a result the leather drive belt has suffered to a point of breaking.

Where could I get a substitute or replacement for this.

Any help greatly received

Regards

Sue

mike s":1y3a3be1 said:
im sure you will enjoy it
personally i feel a treadle lathe is a bit limiting, it will be hard to keep a smooth even cut going when pumping the treadle and it will be impossible to reach the high speeds often used when turning

mike.
probably limited to substandard works similar to that of say...Chippendale #-o :mrgreen: :wink:
but i must also add they did invent electricity for a reason :D

Food for thought - years ago I had to have physio on my hand as a result of an accident, and the physio told me of another patient who had had a hip replacement. Apparently one hip was completely shot, but the other was still perfect, even though the guy was well past retirement. He discovered that this guy had been a craftsman gunsmith, and had always worked standing at a treadle lathe. The hip that took his static weight was shot, the one that was exercised was the good one.

Looks like your going to have some interesting times ahead getting it into shape :lol:

The only thing I have seen remoately like that was me Mothers Singer Sewing machine
and dare anyone put hand or foot near it, still on the go by the way.

Back