chucks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pip1954

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i am looking for a chuck, i have got a chuck that came with my lathe but only has what i would call normal jaws but they do'nt hold very well so i am wondering which chuck you guys would suggest as a good chuck covering plenty of options also reasonable priced.
axminster do a chuck set with several jaws any views? or is there better.
the one that i got when i bought my lathe i think is bison 100mm with 2 sets of 4 jaws internal and external fixing.
:ho2
pip

Just had a quick look at Bison 100mm chucks and they all seem to be metalworking chucks which would explain the poor grip. The axminster chucks are certainly decent although they have stopped selling their best chuck but you need to post details of the chuck you are thinking of and some guide as to the type of work you wish to hold. There are certainly good alternatives like the Sorby Patriot and I am sure other members will make different recommendations.

Hi Pip,
You might be pleased to know that your chuck is an Axminster super precision chuck. Some of them had the Bison brand on them (One of mine has the same brand on it).

The jaw set you have is the internal/external set. See here http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-internal-and-external-jaw-set-prod370419/.

That means you can buy one or more sets of jaw carriers like these http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-precision-ground-accessory-mounting-jaws-prod859046/ and whatever jaws you like from the Axminster 100mm jaw range.

h'mm that interesting i did wonder if you could get different jaws, that could be easier as i could buy one set at a time.
i will take a picture of my chuck and jaws and see if any of you can tell if they will fit.
once again i am in your debt of info.
many thanks
pip :ho2

pip have a look in the For Sale section
Katchin has a few chucks for sale and at a good price and also look in good nik

if i had the money i would have them myself

Back