Chuckless bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
My first creations for 40 years. Not perfect but all my own work. I have had to do all the work with a couple of bowl gouges and a parting tool as they are the only ones that I have that are any use. (The need list gets longer and longer and longer......)
Finished off with a bit of sanding sealer.
They are only practice pieces really but I'm quite pleased to have finished something at last.
I haven't got a clue what wood they are made from, it's a well seasoned plank I had in the shed, hard as nails, end grain needs watching, turns well
bowl1.jpg

bowl1a.jpg

This one has a deep bottom as I was nervous having already gone through one bottom on a previous attempt.
bowl2.jpg

bowl2a.jpg

One of my first efforts. Can't get a decent photo. I'll try outside tomorrow.
Eucalyptus.jpg

Rescued this log from the side of the road after the gales a week ago. Anyone know what it is? I have a wood burner if it's of no use. It's about 6" diameter and 3' long.
wood.jpg

Pete

Good start Pete !

Vague suspicion that the wood may be acacia ...

The log is one wood that's easy to identify, it's Dogwood... you can tell that from the bark
.sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

going to bed now..........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

" This one has a deep bottom as I was nervous having already gone through one bottom on a previous attempt "

Huuummm Bottom :p

Opps sorry , back on track , Nice work there ,

Not so much both feet as my backside but I'm on the way down / up at last.
SWMBO keeps telling me I need a chuck when I show her the holes in the bottom so next pay day maybe....... then I can really start sliding.

Pete, nice stuff. You're firmly on the slope now, matey... :shock:

Don't show your SWMBO this, and if you're going to do a lot of 'em frankly this is a bit of a laborious way of doing it, but this bowl was just done on a screw chuck (which is much more affordable, fwiw):

127fs344698.jpg

The contrasting plug is a bit of a giveaway - just pared off with a chisel so no need for the jam chuck:

127fs344703.jpg

The black marks on the inside, in case anyone wonders, are what happens if someone puts one of those darn glass paperweights in a wooden bowl and then places same on a sunny window sill. :evil: Lucky we didn't have a fire I suppose.

Cheers, Alf

There you are, Chas, just to prove I did try to be a "proper" turner once upon a time and actualy made a bowl. :lol:

Alf":36imd556 said:
There you are, Chas, just to prove I did try to be a "proper" turner once upon a time and actualy made a bowl. :lol:

So what's with the 'try' and 'once upon a time' surely not a touch of the "been there done that syndrome", having seen your abilities over the couple of years since I first saw your work I can only feel sad that you do not fill in more of your 'pondering time' with a bit more turning.

CHJ":et4k948v said:
surely not a touch of the "been there done that syndrome"
I'm a martyr to it, a martyr I tells ya. :oops: I dunno, I just don't get the turning bug at all, unlike everyone else it seems. It's as incomprehensible to me as someone only ever using a biscuit jointer. Must be a character flaw I think, but thank goodness. Another steep slope I do not need... 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Alf":10w4eukz said:
I'm a martyr to it, a martyr I tells ya. :oops: I dunno, I just don't get the turning bug at all, unlike everyone else it seems. It's as incomprehensible to me as someone only ever using a biscuit jointer. Must be a character flaw I think, but thank goodness. Another steep slope I do not need... 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Vive la différence.

Thanks for the tip Alf. Actually SWMBO is a pretty good sort and never complains when I spend money....except when the fridge is empty!!!!

I had thought of a screw chuck....but if I can get the full thing so much the better.

Pete

3, 2 in Newcastle (Tyneside) and 1 in Devon, none interested in wood in any shape or form I'm afraid. she's a one ofa kind...don't tell her I said that :lol: LOL

Tis was made from a piece of spalted pine (AKA firewood). End grain was impossible to totally smooth out but nearly got there.
spalted%20pine1.jpg

spalted%20pine2.jpg

The first one looks as though it has chips out of the side but it hasn't.

Pete, try a little moisture or soft paste wax on problem end grain... no guarantees but worth a try...

If can fettle pine most other woods should be a doddle :wink:

oldsoke":1shdutnq said:
Pete, try a little moisture or soft paste wax on problem end grain... no guarantees but worth a try...

If can fettle pine most other woods should be a doddle :wink:

Newbie question. What does "fettle" mean?

loosely translated it's a generic term for 'sorting' ... making better, improving; I think it derives from the metal industry...

In arabic: ‏(الاسم) حاله , وضع , رمل تفرش به أرض فرن (فعل) يفرش بالرمل‏
Japanese: 状態

...just to reflect out multicultural society :lol:

oldsoke":2pvtnx1u said:
loosely translated it's a generic term for 'sorting' ... making better, improving; I think it derives from the metal industry...

Yes cleaning up the the mold flashes in metal casting or pottery.
also used to refer to the lining/repairing of iron/steel molds.

Bodrighy":elp2glag said:
End grain was impossible to totally smooth out but nearly got there.

Also try applying cellulose sanding sealer to the endgrain area before the final cut, sometimes it stiffens it and stops it from tearing out.

Latest posts

Back