chuck help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandy

Established Member
Reaction score
bit of a long shot, i have just purchased (i say just about 3 weeks ago) this chuck http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... (Body-Only)-800738.htm its a wonderful (well ok i think its a wonderful) bit of kit, and does the job well with the stped jaws i ordered at the same time, but i was thinking about these http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -21942.htm but i need to know what the internal diameter would be fully closed, i know the site staes 40mm, but this is when the jaws are opened up so the out side of the jaws line up with the oud side of the body (if that made anysence), normaly i would send them a email, but my email is playing up this evening and theres no harm in asking here right?

many thanks
andy

HI Andy

First a couple of questions, what size/sizes do you want the jaws to go down to and why are you looking at the jaws for the 80mm body when you have the 100mm body?

I have the 100mm chuck myself with a variety of jaws so if you let me know what sizes you need I will have a look and measure up.

john

The Axminster 80mm 'C' Jaws will close down to:

Central hole will grip 6mm
Dovetail Jaw will grip 35mm (just)

At this point the outer dovetail will just go into 46-1/2mm socket.

At this point though its more like 4 point contact than circular.

jpt":3sssfhzf said:
......why are you looking at the jaws for the 80mm body when you have the 100mm body?

I presume because like me he wishes to grip smaller objects where the 80mm jaws have an advantage. (they are similar to the Nova-Sorby standard jaws.)

i make plugs for streched ear lobes, the biggest i can hold in my much smaller chuck is around 35mm, but i need to be able to hold upto 2 inchs plus, the steped jaws can do the job fine, but i cant get the tool rest close to the wood and often whack my finger and it hurts :p, but those smaller jaws are like the ones i use for bigger stuff on my other chuck so i would asume that the depth is under 1/2" (is it??) so i can hold the work, get the tool rest close, and keep all my piggies at the same time

so thanks for helping me, if the depth is alright i may well purchase these

HI

If you are talking about the measurement from the chuck to the top of the jaws then yes it is less than 1/2".

Have you had a look at the O'Dinnell jaws from Axminster HERE they are on sale at the moment although they dont seem to have the bigger set in stock.

I use the set NO. 610361 and use them for 95% of all my chuck work, again they arent on the Axminster site at the moment so I am not sure if they have stopped selling them or just out of stock. A picture of them with sizes is HERE They are more expensive at £122 for the set but they will do everything you want. Also because they are tapered you are further away form the chuck body and less likely to hit your hand.

It is still worth taking a fine file to any jaw set and gently rounding over the edges of the jaws so if you do hit them it doesnt hurt so much.

john

Back