Chuck for cole jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought the cole jaws from Steve on the forum. What would be the cheapest chuck to buy to have them set up rather than having to keep taking the jaws off my supernova every time.
Cheers in advance
Elaine

Elaine":241jmj3d said:
I have just bought the cole jaws from Steve on the forum. What would be the cheapest chuck to buy to have them set up rather than having to keep taking the jaws off my supernova every time.
Cheers in advance
Elaine

Hi Elaine, You can leave the cole jaws attached with the use of longer cap screws you can mount any of the jaws you have on the front of the cole jaws. I do not like using them in this manner and prefer to change over as required for the few minutes it takes.

Cheers

Vic

Vic Perrin":2zjdqjj6 said:
You can leave the cole jaws attached with the use of longer cap screws you can mount any of the jaws you have on the front of the cole jaws. I do not like using them in this manner and prefer to change over as required for the few minutes it takes.

Hi

Unless you have a version of Cole jaws that I'm unfamiliar with I wouldn't recommend this practice. The jaw security is dependant on the registers, (the arc shaped machinings on the back of the jaws), engaging in their matched recess in the chuck jaws. There are no registers on the front of any Cole jaws that I have seen therefore the jaws will not seat correctly and the screws will be under shear / bending loads rather than their designed tensile load.

Regards Mick

Spindle":2lnzmv78 said:
Vic Perrin":2lnzmv78 said:
You can leave the cole jaws attached with the use of longer cap screws you can mount any of the jaws you have on the front of the cole jaws. I do not like using them in this manner and prefer to change over as required for the few minutes it takes.

Hi

Unless you have a version of Cole jaws that I'm unfamiliar with I wouldn't recommend this practice. The jaw security is dependant on the registers, (the arc shaped machinings on the back of the jaws), engaging in their matched recess in the chuck jaws. There are no registers on the front of any Cole jaws that I have seen therefore the jaws will not seat correctly and the screws will be under shear / bending loads rather than their designed tensile load.

Regards Mick

All the cole jaws i have seen have them and the nova one have them for sure

Spindle":28gam2xi said:
Vic Perrin":28gam2xi said:

Hi

Regards Mick

Nova Cole Jaws have a register on the front and are designed to be used in conjunction with the Jaws see photo

Vic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 986
bellringer":mpxi7sa6 said:
Spindle":mpxi7sa6 said:
Vic Perrin":mpxi7sa6 said:

Hi

Regards Mick

All the cole jaws i have seen have them and the nova one have them for sure

Spot on Bellringer you are Right. As I said in my post the Nova Cole Jaws are designed so that you can fit any of the other Nova Jaws in front of them. That's why when you buy a set of Nova Cole Jaws you get supplied with longer cap screws so as to facilitate fitting the addition jaws to the front.

Vic

Hi

I stand corrected :oops: :oops:

However they are the only jaws I know to do this - the Robert Sorby jaws in Steveuk's photo, (the ones the OP purchased), don't nor do my two sets of Vicmac ones.

Learn something every day

Regards Mick

Elaine, as has been mentioned the obvious answer is you need to go with a chuck from the same manufacture/series or an equivalent standard (not the usual route as normally the chuck determines the accessory standard :) ) however there is an alternate route to consider if you are of a mind to purchase accessory jaws from mixed sources that may be machined to differing fixing standards.
The Versa chuck from the Toolpost, not only has the ability to easily change the lathe spindle thread standard should you move to a different lathe with different spindle thread but also has a selection of jaw carriers available that are matched to the different manufactures accessory jaw fitting standards.

This does of course add a small extra expense buying additional carriers if needed but may well be more than off-set by being able to obtain a selection of accessory jaws (as you have with the cole jaws) at a reasonable price without having to worry too much about them being compatible with the chuck body. (just need to know which standard they are before purchase to determine value for money in your set-up)

Uhm :roll: as usual great feedback. Always leaves me pondering which is good. I don't want to be rapping my knuckles. So either, have patience and swap the jaws over when I need to or buy a chuck. The piggy bank is looking quite slim after the festive period. Patience it is then. But I shall start putting the pennies away.
In the meantime I shall have fun researching your suggestions.
Cheers
Elaine

Elaine":7aye19zc said:
Uhm :roll: as usual great feedback. Always leaves me pondering which is good. I don't want to be rapping my knuckles. So either, have patience and swap the jaws over when I need to or buy a chuck. The piggy bank is looking quite slim after the festive period. Patience it is then. But I shall start putting the pennies away.
In the meantime I shall have fun researching your suggestions.
Cheers
Elaine
Hi Elaine, Exactly my feeling with regard to swapping the jaws when you need to. I tried my cole jaws with a set of 2" jaws attached to the front and although it all worked fine,I was frightened to death about catching my knuckles on the flying cole jaws. I just chill out now and swap the jaws when need be.

Regards

Vic

Spindle":32zq3wj4 said:
However they are the only jaws I know to do this - the Robert Sorby jaws in Steveuk's photo, (the ones the OP purchased), don't nor do my two sets of Vicmac ones.

That's probably because like the Axminster standard, they have Jaw Carries with a proud Safety Tenon that fits into a Socket grove on the rear of the accessory jaws, this would not be practical as a protrusion on the front of the Cole Jaws.

Does mean that you can attach additional accessory jaws to the front of the plain fronted Cole Jaws but they will have safety constraints as they will rely totally on screw integrity for centrifugal forces.

Something I have done on occasions for a specific repeat process to speed things up using the additional jaws in expansion mode, but not something I now need to do, having the luxury of additional chucks enables far better access.

Back