Christmas Trees

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm trying as hard as I can to delay the 'xmas cheer', but wifey is bugging me about Christmas trees. Traditionally we always get a real tree. But every year, by Boxing day, they die. I suspect it's because we like to have our heating high. I've never been keen anyway, they stink and no matter what species we get, they ll drop needles.

So this year I think we are going to go with a 'fake' tree.

Are there good quality trees? Or are they all about the same thing? I don't mind spending a bit of money if it's going to last a few years. The real ones can cost £40-50.

So, any recommendations?

Like you, we always used to get a real tree and, like you, were fed up of tree-death. We picked up a fakey from B&Q for £15 (pretty much what we spend on a real one) and I have to say we're very pleased with it.

I remember fake trees from years ago were basically a bunch of green pipe cleaners and pointy bits. The one we got requires a bit of creativity to fan the 'branches' out realistically but I don't think we'll bother going back to having a real one again.

Hi Tom

We took the opposite approach last year. Having always had Pammie trees, we decided to go for the real deal. We got a B&Q tree for £35, about 7' tall and the best looking tree i've ever seen. Got a stand which clamped the trunk and also provided a trough to which water could be added to stop the tree drying out. Perhaps this has been your problem re: tree death????? After 3 weeks ours looked as healthy as the day we got it.

We're off to get ours this weekend.

Cheers

Karl

When we did the real tree deal I always cut a slice off the bottom to expose freah wood when I got it home and stood in it a bucket of water for a day. Then I used the stand with a water trough and didn't have a needle dropping problem. Three years ago my wife spotted a very attractive artificial tree on sale so we ended up with that. It will have to do a long time because the sale price was £120!!! I was horrified - that's a quarter of a bandsaw!

Brendan

Karl we have a super duper wrought iron base\holder with a big pot for topping water up. I always cut a sliver off the bottom and soak it on the day we bring it home. Without fail it starts to die within a week. Wifey had the idea of turning the lounge rad off at night but it's not in the easiest of places to get to and I know she'll not bother (I can't do it this year for obvious reasons). We do like out heating up, which is probably why they always die. The upstairs of our house is always much much colder than down so at night the heating has to go up to keep it warm. So I think an artificial tree would be better for us.

Tho I will not be buying THISone :lol:

Tom.
We have had a fake tree for years now and have just replaced it with one of those real looking ones,which we got from a localish garden center.
We got a bargain :D
Swmbo loves decorating it and does a good job of it. :D
All that have seen it so far thought it was a real tree.

Karl":ar3louos said:
Hi Tom

We took the opposite approach last year. Having always had Pammie trees, we decided to go for the real deal. We got a B&Q tree for £35, about 7' tall and the best looking tree i've ever seen. Got a stand which clamped the trunk and also provided a trough to which water could be added to stop the tree drying out. Perhaps this has been your problem re: tree death????? After 3 weeks ours looked as healthy as the day we got it.

We're off to get ours this weekend.

Cheers

Karl
Karl

Don't know where you're getting it from, but Ivy Tree Farm in Wilmslow (just next to Lindow Common) is where we got ours from last weekend. A full twelve feet of Nordman Fir and they have hundreds of top trees. Not the cheapest (mine was about £80), but great quality, and I guess you're never going to get a 12' one for buttons.

is that so strange? What did people do before TRVs? Surely people don't turn their downstairs rads off at night? I've honestly never heard of that?

The only time my heat stays on at night is if I forget to hit the timer bypass switch when I go to bed and that has happened, maybe, 2 times in 30 years because it is seldom used to over-ride the clock.

Brendan

very odd. I couldn't imagine not having the heating on at night. Do you all go to bed fully clothed?? :lol:

LOL, You wouldn't like living in my house. No matter what the weather the bedroom windows are open as is the door to assist air-flow and my sleeping arrangements do not include Damart's best.

Brendan

So Wizer you do not know to put sugar in the water to keep the tree alive??Keep the lights on only during the night time hrs. to keep heating to a minimum on the tree,and keep it away from the heaters.Trees will live a good 4 weeks in a house with normal heating,without losing needles.

Reading this thread, some people like real trees, others like artificial ones.......there's only one way to find out.

FIIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTT! :D

No option in our household I'm afraid. Every year we buy a real one from my brother in laws family business (fencing) and every year we still never get a ha'peth of discount :cry:
We've had mixed results over the years dependent on the type of tree. The ones that don't drop still tend to curl up, dry and lose colour. I'm going to try the chopping off a sliver of the trunk trick this year and water it religiously.

Mark :D

Blimey - heating on at night?! Mine is all automatically stat controlled so the temp setting drops to 10 degrees C and windows are opened in the bedrooms.

As for Christmas trees... We bought a really decent fake one online a couple of years back. It's about 7ft tall but very narrow so it does not take up too much space in the room. It wasn't cheap but we like it so it was worth the money. I think it came from Christmas Tree Land, although I can't see it on their site this year.

If you're buying an artificlal tree then you can't beat actually going round the sheds and taking a gander at what's available. There are some very realistic ones out there but take some looking. I'd never buy one off the internet simply because I can't see it beforehand. It's got to look right, right?

yep good point Roger. Obviously I'm a little house bound at the moment. I'll have to get wifey to go and choose one and if they won't put it in the car for her, I'll have to get Dad to go pick it up.

Funny old world innit? I really find it odd that people turn down their heating at the coldest part of the day(night).

wizer":20o024qh said:
Funny old world innit? I really find it odd that people turn down their heating at the coldest part of the day(night).
It's obviously down to your lack of hair baldy! ;)

I am like others on here, windows open in bedroom all night otherwise I wake up with a sore throat/blocked nose. I have always been like this, that's what duvets are for, to keep you warm in bed.

Our heating is underfloor so is on constantly but set to 20deg during the two 'on' periods (6-8am & 6-10pm) and drops back by 3deg in the 'off' periods.

This might change for you when you start putting on some weight ;)

TrimTheKing":3dbrwtzw said:
This might change for you when you start putting on some weight ;)

That's a good point, I am still a stone under my ideal weight. But then missus is the one who turns the heating up when she comes to bed.

Actually, despite being an IT professional and a general geek, I can't for the life of me work out how to set the timer on the heater. We've got a wireless digital thermostat, which handles the timer function. I've read the manual and everything. All I can do it get it to set the temp manually, like a normal stat. :roll:

Back