Chopsticks anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This subject came up a few weeks ago and the general reaction was the same, "how much!"

I was interested because I'm always on the lookout for little gifts that I can give to my furniture clients, something that's quick to make and ideally something that showcases the highly figured timbers that I use to distinguish my furniture from High Street alternatives. Chopsticks seemed like a possibility.

It appears that after you've produced a blank there are three separate operations involved in making a chopstick. Tapering the length, adding a chamfer so the chopstick goes from a square section at the top to an octagonal section at the bottom, and finally adding a "pyramid" shape on the top. So I decided to knock together a couple of crude jigs to handle jobs one and three, but to do the chamfering by hand. Using some off-cuts of Rippled Sycamore, and by double stick taping some skids on the bottom of a block plane, this is what I managed to produce (after wasting the best part of a day),

Chopsticks-1.jpg

Chopsticks-2.jpg

They're okay for a first stab at the problem, but it was clear that to do these in any volume I'd have to invest far more time in producing better jigs. I reckon I'd have to make one more prototype set of jigs and then a fully finished set, and that would likely take three to five day's work. Plus I'd probably need at least one and possibly two dedicated high angle block planes (there are tear out issues that need taming) with better attached and more durable skids. I suspect I could do the pyramid forming with ganged up components on an SCMS or power saw, but to get the right finish the tapering and chamfering would have to be done manually which would hugely slow down production.

At that stage I decided it wasn't really viable for my purposes. For one thing you'd need really, really straight grained off-cuts and many of the timbers that I use may have toxicity issues. Even more significantly I think it would still take 15-20 minutes to make one pair of chopsticks including blank preparation. Not to mention that the making process itself would be so dull I'd lose the will to live! However, if I had been tempted to take this idea further, I'd think seriously about just buying this jig ready made and saving myself a lot of jig development and making time.

It's always the same, you think a job is trivial but when you actually get down to doing it you often find it eats up far more time than you first envisioned.

For a hobbyist I suspect this jig might be more relevant. You could quickly produce something with your own hands that's fully up to professional standards (or at least better than my initial efforts!), that's widely acceptable as a little gift, and could be made with minimal equipment in a very small workshop. If you've got the skills and equipment to make your own jigs to the required accuracy I guess you'll be beyond this anyway and already making more sophisticated gift items. In fact I suspect the biggest problem for most hobbyists with chopsticks would be actually sourcing suitable timber.

Anyhow, just my thoughts.

Attachments

• Chopsticks-1.jpg
    Chopsticks-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 322
  • Chopsticks-2.jpg
    Chopsticks-2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 322
custard":wks23ahj said:
Using some off-cuts of Rippled Sycamore, and by double stick taping some skids on the bottom of a block plane, this is what I managed to produce (after wasting the best part of a day),
file.php
Those are really expensive chop sticks!!

BugBear

Custard, I hope you used your ''Chinese Inches'' tape measure? :-D

As I said before, of all the utensils available to eat rice, who decided that two sticks was the best idea?

NazNomad":2ge0ukde said:
As I said before, of all the utensils available to eat rice, who decided that two sticks was the best idea?

I can make a basic pair of chop sticks a lot quicker than I can carve a spoon, and use less timber too!

And the Chinese, when eating, don't pick up rice with chop sticks. That's too difficult.

BugBear

The Qijia culture (2400-1900 BC) that resided in part of present day China also are known to have used forks. :wink:
I could be an expert on ancient methods of eating.
I'm not of course. I'm a bloomin' window cleaner.
Just thought I'd google the history of utensils cos I'm a sad so and so and it's actually pretty interesting. :D

http://www.history.com/news/hungry-hist ... chopsticks

Ps: Naz, taking all the Pish is considered extremely rude in some cultures because it often contains the only protein in the dish. Accounts of 1500 BC dining arrangements have famously recorded this. Arguments ensued when one diner took the pish. As arguments ensued the standard response was 'Yeh mate, Just Wok away. That's it. Wok on, Wok on. With hooooope in yoooouuuur heeearrrrt!!!!'

novocaine":dri8tal4 said:
there is a cheaper option.
you get a free plane too. :lol:

https://www.japanesetools.com.au/produc ... -maker-jig

didn't say cheap, said cheaper. :)

Not surprisingly those are Japanese chopsticks, which come to a much finer point than Chinese chopsticks.

There doesn't appear to be any of the square to octagon transition or the pyramid shaping either, so I guess the Japanese ones would be quicker to make. But it's a puzzle why you'd choose a more complex design if you've got to make enough for a billion people!

Chopsticks... A nice exercise in making, but using them?

I can't think of a more impractical way of getting food from a plate and into one's mouth!

I just fail to understand why a culture which invented/discovered gunpowder, and fireworks, never considered the concept of forks, with sharp tines! :eek:

I love Chinese/Cantonese food... But I am never ashamed to ask for a fork! 8)

John

Benchwayze":3kqyebd9 said:
I love Chinese/Cantonese food... But I am never ashamed to ask for a fork! 8)

When I visited Japan (for work) my hosts were always very helpful,
and the various (wonderful) places we ate at would always provide
western cutlery for the poor, stupid, incompetent gaijin. :D

I had prepared for my trips by eating chinese food for a couple
of months, using only chopsticks. The first few days
were an exercise in hand cramps, but it rapidly gets easier.

I was therefore able to (politely) decline their offer.

BugBear

ah, but these aren't what is used every day, these are like the posh silverware you keep in the dresser.
here's the daily utensils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnvJOBwjxqI

on a side note, I find chopsticks easy to use, the real issue is being left handed, could get myself in trouble with that one, so learned to use them right handed as well. :)

I shared a student house with a Japanese friend. We ate oriental food together on many an occasion, using chopsticks. Since most meals work by taking some food from communal serving dishes, and we were all in the college rowing team with boosted appetites, you soon learned to operate chopsticks quickly and efficiently. Which turned out to be a useful skill because I've since been to Japan several times, including as a visiting worker - my hosts always seemed surprised that Gaijin could manage chopsticks !

Incidentally, the two styles of chopstick allow different use; the Chinese blunt ones work well with rice that sticks into lumps. Japanese pointed ones can, with practice, pick up individual grains of rice. They can also stab like a fork, or, having done that, pushing the chopsticks apart can tease apart larger pieces of food, like pieces of fish etc.

Quite why you'd want this jig when you could buy several lifetimes supply of chopsticks for less, I don't know.

Well I agree it would be nice to be able to use chopsticks. But despite being shown how, and getting on quite well for five minutes or so, I still end up with my food being distributed around the table to either side of me; not to mention on the floor.

I gave up. I have collected a few pairs of plastic ones for the kitchen. One never knows when one will be entertaining an oriental guest. Quite how they would manage roast beef and all the trimmings I dunno!

I agree with your final remark Tony. Of course if someone wants to make a luxury pair of chopsticks, then it should be easy enough to do what Custard did. Why buy an expensive jig?

Where's me eating irons? It's lunchtime and I have some drumsticks to roast!

Cheers

John

I was shown an easy way of learning to use chopsticks, they're called "training chopsticks",

Chopsticks-Training.jpg

Wrap a rubber band around the thick end, then use whatever's lying around handy as a pivot point or fulcrum. This makes the chopsticks automatically spring open, and you then just have to focus on squeezing them closed like a pair of tweezers. In time you need to substitute the rubber band with a grip that similarly springs the chopsticks open, and learn to use your fingers to complete the closing action.

I once ate a meal in Hong Kong with training chopsticks during an important business meeting, no doubt massive loss of face but at least I didn't go hungry!

Attachments

• Chopsticks-Training.jpg
    Chopsticks-Training.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 103
I prefer the immersion method. stay in china for 3 weeks, you'll either become considerably lighter or you'll learn to use chopsticks. both are a bonus for some of us. :)

novocaine":1wzq8i33 said:
I prefer the immersion method. stay in china for 3 weeks, you'll either become considerably lighter or you'll learn to use chopsticks. both are a bonus for some of us. :)

I went to Egypt and became considerably lighter in 5 days flat!

BugBear

Back