Chop Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white_sw

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been searching through the forums for advice on what chop saw to buy, but still not sure, so thought I would ask for your expert advice. I currently have a B&Q PPPro Sliding 250mm saw which I find not to be very accurate. I have recently purchased a second hand Radial Arm saw, so no longer need the sliding function. I've been looking at the DW703 (Screwfix £179) and the Makita LS1040 (Power Tools UK £145). My budget is £300ish. Any recommendations ? Do any of these saws have the laser guide ? I've grown quite fond of it on my current saw, but not essential. Has anyone used or can comment about the Hitachi C12FCH ?

Thanks,
Sam

white_sw":5q5pg6to said:
Do any of these saws have the laser guide ?
I've tried laser guides either as originally fitted equipment or as add-ons and have yet to find one that is actually any good. They sound great in practice but in reality they suck...well, the ones I've tried do.

what you gonna do with it, and how big do you want to cut.?

are you going to move it around, or stay in the workshop??

these all direct you in a different direction. hitachi is supposed to be ok,
but so is the big bosch which can be got as cordless.

bigger dewalt then??

paul :wink:

It's going to be bench mounted in my workshop and needs a 3 1/2" depth of cut, more if possible. It will be used for a whole range of cuts, from sizing stock to picture framing. I do have a mitre trimmer for fine tuning picture frames though. I'm trying to find the best (accurate, non sliding) saw for my budget.

At that price - a no-brainer. If I had the cash I'd grab one myself!

After much thought and research (oh, and a bonus being paid from work), I am now the very happy owner of a Dewalt DW716E. I purchased a Dewalt factory reconditioned model. It was received in a tatty Dewalt box, covered in packing tape. My initial thought was, oh no, what have I spent my money on here..... However, never judge a book by it's cover. I opened the box quick sharp and found, what looked like to me, a brand new DW716E. Not a mark on it. So out came my engineers square expecting to spend the next hour or so taking test cuts and setting it up. To my disappointment, everything was perfectly square from the first cut. Don't know to be happy :? or not. It's taken away the fun of fettling it.

In my opinion, a reconditioned unit is actually better than a new one as a Dewalt engineer (not straight off the production line) has taken the time to correct any issues and set it up correctly, plus it comes with the same warranties as a new one and at almost half the price (£295) of a new one to boot ! :p

Roger Sinden":1x4qs2w0 said:
white_sw":1x4qs2w0 said:
Do any of these saws have the laser guide ?
I've tried laser guides either as originally fitted equipment or as add-ons and have yet to find one that is actually any good. They sound great in practice but in reality they suck...well, the ones I've tried do.
If you regard them as accurate measuring devices, then yes they're rubbish (personally I use an auxilliary back fence and line-up to the cuts in it.....), but they can provide a useful safety feature by warning you where not to stick yer digits as well as being a rough guide for initial positioning

Scrit

Having used neither, I ask this question out of ignorance, rather than as a challenge... :)

If you have a radial arm saw, why do you also need a chopsaw? :?

Dave

Because my Radial Arm needs constant adjustment and is no where near as accurate as my new Dewalt for mitres.

Dave S":k1gxw31f said:
If you have a radial arm saw, why do you also need a chopsaw? :?
I use my chop saw (in fact often a DW flip-over saw - best? or worts :roll: of both worlds on installations) - the RAS stays in the shop built into a long bench with flip stops

white_sw":k1gxw31f said:
Because my Radial Arm needs constant adjustment and is no where near as accurate as my new Dewalt for mitres.
Here's the question - do you use the RAS for lots of mitre cross cuts and is it a hobby model? Trade users tend to use the RAS mainly for straight crosscuts (lengthing, housings, etc) with few mitre or compound cuts, but even with them the heavier RASs seem to stay accurate. My feeling is that many lightweight RASs are just too lightweight and that something needs doing to improve their accuracy. I have a DW1751 which with a 24in crosscut is notoriously inaccurate after compound mitre cuts - but mine was cured by a bit (well, a lot) of bracing and some jigs.....

Scrit

Just for anyone info. The company that supply these saws is Marshall & Parsons.

They are, and have always been, a well respected company locally.

I have used them many times and found that they know what they are talking about and are very helpful and professional.

Hope this might put some peeps minds at rest.

Latest posts

Back