Choice of wood - what would you advise?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard D

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be setting about building some boxes to hold a card game. I've made a quick prototype:
DSC_5990.JPG

As you can see, it's about 10mm thinck with a lot of slots routed into it, each about 4mm deep and 6mm wide, with 6mm between slots.

What timber would you recommend? It needs to fulfil the following criteria:

(i) have veneered plywood available to match the front/back/sides,

(ii) be strong enough to have all those slots cut into it without compromising the strength of the box or weighing a tonne,

(iii) not be so hard that it blunts my router bits (there is a *lot* of routing required; and no, I'm not going to do it any of it on a table saw),

(iv) not suffer from much break-out,

(v) be reasonably easy to obtain and not cost the earth.

My first choice is cherry, I think, but it's not particularly cheap. I don't want to use anything too cheap, though, as some of these boxes are going to be sold to collectors of the game.

Hi Richard,

I made a CD/DVD presentation box a while ago for a customer:

P1190027.JPG

I think the idea is similar to what you are proposing. The main difference being that I used inserts for my routed/slotted area rather than slotting the body of the box. The main reason I did this was because of the position of the lock but it also made construction a bit easier.

The thread with a few wip pictures is here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/oak-dvd-cd-presentation-box-t38589.html?highlight=dvd box The wood is European Oak.

I hope this is some help to you.

Richard

I'd go with your first thought, cherry, it takes a fine edge for a good joint, is relatively soft on your router bits and with an oil finish will look fantastic with your cards

Thanks.

I'm making "prototype number 2" from oak, but any more that I make after that will be from cherry. Assuming that my router bit handles cutting 200-odd channels in the oak.

Back