Chistmas coming ....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Brubaker

Established Member
Reaction score
and it is almost time again for the distribution of toys for inner city kids.
Have attached a pic showing a 1932 Buick sedan,a 1927 Model A Ford pickup truck, & a 1930 Model A Ford roadster. Because the wood came out of the scrap bin quite a variety was used: red oak, bur oak, birch, hard maple, & aspen.
The 6 discs are shoelace tops. A youngster pulling the shoelace will set the top spinning causing it to drop out of the handle to the floor where it spins for about a minute. Long enough anyhow for me to have all 6 spinning away at once on the shop floor. I'm easily amused.
Thanks for looking.

Lee

IMG_0206.jpg
[/img][/url]

Very nice stuff (and a great reason for doing it) - I think the model cars are absolutely fantastic!

Andrew

Thank you for the kind comments my cyber friends.

John: I don't have plans for the tops however if you have a lathe, this is what I do. I cut a circle in 3/4" thick stock. Then using a forstner bit drill a 3/4" center hole. Using a hardwood 3/4" dowel I press fit the stem then mount in the lathe. The disc at the stem is reduced to 5/8" then tapers to 1/16" at the rim. The upper end of the stem is also reduced to 1/2" dia.
The bottom end of the stem is 5/8" at the disc & tapers to the point.
The top end finished length is 2". The finished length of the pointed stem is 1-1/4". As these were the first time I had made tops a learning curve was involved when it came to the finishing. The first two the rings were hand painted...tedious & not that great. The next 3 were painted then put back in the lathe & grooves cut to seperate the colors....better. Then it occurred to me that if I made the disc of plywood, rings would automatically occur due to the different plys as I shaped the disc. Much easier & better. Everything was sanded while the tops were in the lathe &
the finishing done with the exception of the pointed stem, the tops were put back into the lathe and the point finished to seperation & caught with the other hand as the top came off the lathe. Hope the above is detailed enough to let you make your grandson happy.

Lee

P.S. Use a flat type shoelace, the round ones don't work well.

Thanks Lee,
I am certainly going to give them a go!
One point, from your pictures, I cannot see how the holder supports the top when it is being spun and then able to release it.
John

John: The holder has a hole drilled vertically through which the upper stem of the top is inserted. It also has a hole drilled horizontally & intersecting the vertical hole. Positioned on the stem at the center of the horizontal hole, drill a 1/8" hole through the stem into which the tip of the shoelace is inserted. Wind the shoelace on the stem so that the first few wraps of the lace is at the bottom area of the horizontal hole. Continue to wind placing the wraps up nearer the center of the stem.
The first few wraps of the lace prevents the top from dropping out of the holder hence pulling the lace imparts the spin to the top & when the end of the lace pops out of the stem, drops the top out of the holder. Hope this isn't "Greek".

Lee

Latest posts

Back