Chisels - how low can you go?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The work Andy T did with the chisel seemed quite reasonable to me, despite the chisel, and he also listed things he didn't like about it, thus helping everyone to come to their own conclusions about whether they would want to own one, unless of course the tools provenance had already made the decision for them.

For the record, I won't be buying one, I might if I needed something to use in a 'sacrificial' role, but I'm very grateful to Andy T for sharing his findings which have given me a little more knowledge than before,

Cheerio,

Carl

thick_mike":3vbw3jyi said:
Isn't the point here that chisels are pretty easy to make so the variation in quality from the cheapest to the most expensive is small?)

No. The review compliments the pound shop chisel for its flatness, but criticises it for numerous other flaws. It's okay at a pinch, but apparently chisels, though a simple tool, aren't all equal.

Happily Lie Nielsen and Poundland aren't the only choices a woodworker has. But it sounds as though there are many better choices across various price ranges (including Lie Nielsens) than a chisel with a handle that might break on its third use.

'It is often said that a poor workman blames his tools, but even the best craftsman cannot do good work with poor tools...

I interpret that phrase as saying that a good workman chooses good tools and takes the time to maintain them during his/her working day so they're always in good order and ready to do good work. Good tools and good workmen are inseparable.

To be sure, I don't think that means everyone has to buy a set of premium heir loom quality Lie Nielsen chisels. Oranges aren't the only fruit. But I do think it says that you probably shouldn't stake your reputation on a chisel whose handle might break on its third use.

Jason":ei26rlfx said:
thick_mike":ei26rlfx said:
Isn't the point here that chisels are pretty easy to make so the variation in quality from the cheapest to the most expensive is small?)

No. The review compliments the pound shop chisel for its flatness, but criticises it for numerous other flaws. It's apparently okay at a pinch, but apparently chisels, though a simple tool, aren't all equal.

Happily Lie Nielsen and Poundland aren't the only choices a woodworker has. But it sounds as though there are many better choices across various price ranges (including Lie Nielsens) than a chisel with a handle that might break on its third use.

Nobody says they are all the same...you're right the cheapo chisel would do at a pinch, I have heard plenty of people say that certain cheapo planes are unusable though.

Yes, the example chosen was an extreme one to illustrate a point.

Maybe we should have a cheapo toolbox thread...what's the cheapest set of tools you could build a toolbox with?

That chisel might be unusable once the handle had fallen off.

But sure, finding good value tools on a budget is as interesting a topic as any - so why not.

And who's to say the handle won't fall off or break on a Lie Neilsen? Maybe it's highly unlikely but it's still possible.

Well, you just said it was highly unlikely.

The chisel under test had a remarkable piece of steel with a lousy handle. A handle can be made (rougly) by any beginner though. So afterall, not the best choice for a cash strapped beginner, but better then nothing. Holding out for some Aldi chisels might be a better bet.

And don't underestimate beginners. They are still enthousiastic about everything and will find ways to circumnavigate the odds of sub standard tools, poor sharpening technique and wood from the big box store. That's how we all started, and it didn't kill us.

nathandavies":aiin7i7k said:
I once watched a chippy i'd worked with quite a bit fit an internal corner piece of skirting, using an angle grinder to cut and shape it, I think he'd noticed my early tool snobbery and was proving a point. once fitted it looked better than a lot of skirting i'd seen. It's not what you've got it's how you use them.

nathan

I almost always use a grinder with a sanding disc to cope internal corners......its so much quicker

kostello":gcypqodm said:
nathandavies":gcypqodm said:
I once watched a chippy i'd worked with quite a bit fit an internal corner piece of skirting, using an angle grinder to cut and shape it, I think he'd noticed my early tool snobbery and was proving a point. once fitted it looked better than a lot of skirting i'd seen. It's not what you've got it's how you use them.

nathan

I almost always use a grinder with a sanding disc to cope internal corners......its so much quicker

Noted :wink:

I'm still here thanks, enjoying the discussion which has covered a good range of views.

If anyone wants to send me a £50 chisel I could do a proper comparison.... ;-)

So your 'waste' of an hour was all part of a cunning plan - the Prince (as in Machievelli) of Woodwork!

Cheerio,

Carl

Corneel":1u2t9zfz said:
The chisel under test had a remarkable piece of steel with a lousy handle. A handle can be made (rougly) by any beginner though. So afterall, not the best choice for a cash strapped beginner, but better then nothing. Holding out for some Aldi chisels might be a better bet.

Rehandling is an interesting idea, but you'd be at the mercy of the tang of course. Plus we don't know what the tempering is like.

You might be looking at a lot of work for a not very good, if impressively flat, chisel. Assuming that they're consistently flat.

Like I said. It's just a chisel. No need to get upset about it. Use it. Abuse it.
Thankfully someone has taken the trouble to do a review of a piece of rubbish. The piece of rubbish turned out to 'cut wood'. It's not a big deal. For the life of me I can't think why that should upset people.
Can you?

MIGNAL":2j7mvyfa said:
Like I said. It's just a chisel. No need to get upset about it. Use it. Abuse it.
Thankfully someone has taken the trouble to do a review of a piece of rubbish. The piece of rubbish turned out to 'cut wood'. It's not a big deal. For the life of me I can't think why that should upset people.
Can you?

It's irrational, I agree, but experience shows it to be common.

BugBear

Andy, thanks for an informative and useful review.

Now, if you could only find a sharpening stone in Poundland and review that, I wouldn't need to look outside tonight ;)

Back