Chipping extractor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhwbigley

Established Member
Reaction score
Right I need a chipping extractor for my planer Thicknesser

DSC01209.jpg

i might be starting my Garage doors in 3 weeks, and theres alot of machining to do :shock:

I've got my other extractor set up with my Table saw and Radial arm saw

DSC01098.jpg

how big an extractor would i need?

John-Henry

If you have the room go for the bigger ADE2200 (on offer at the mo).
I have one and it sucks like Devine Brown :lol:
You'll be grateful for the larger sacks as it won't take long to fill one up if you're prepping a lot of timber.

That Record CX2600 is not a bad machine; almost on a par with the Axminster ADE1200 I own. If you're setting up to run an efficient business though, I'd highly recommend you go for an extractor with greater collection capacity in the lower bag. I only use mine in my spare time and, even then, it fills up far to quickly for my liking - bags full of shavings everywhere!! :D

The airflow is also about the minimum that Axminster would recommend for use with a planer thicknesser (among other machines). This may be okay with a 10in. wide thicknesser but, if yours is 12" wide or more then, you really would benefit from going with a bigger extractor.

Have you considered using a courier for eBay items which are too far away? RogerS recently got a Sedgwick planer/thicknesser from North to South for about £70, if I remember that correctly... Have a look in the Projects forum! :wink:

OPJ":1fx94irp said:
That Record CX2600 is not a bad machine; almost on a par with the Axminster ADE1200 I own. If you're setting up to run an efficient business though, I'd highly recommend you go for an extractor with greater collection capacity in the lower bag. I only use mine in my spare time and, even then, it fills up far to quickly for my liking - bags full of shavings everywhere!! :D

have you thought of using a cyclone or a dustbin expander to deal with that problem - we use the dustbinb expander at work and just swap bins when one gets full - makes for easy emptying into the compost heap or wherever

OPJ":nyzjgy94 said:

The airflow is also about the minimum that Axminster would recommend for use with a planer thicknesser (among other machines). This may be okay with a 10in. wide thicknesser but, if yours is 12" wide or more then, you really would benefit from going with a bigger extractor.

Have you considered using a courier for eBay items which are too far away? RogerS recently got a Sedgwick planer/thicknesser from North to South for about £70, if I remember that correctly... Have a look in the Projects forum! :wink:

thanks Olly, is was looking at the record mainly because of the price! but your right, it is a bit small for my 12" pt.

i might try ringing up a few firms if i see anything on ebay, dust extractors shouldn't be to heavy!

how much airflow do i need?

i wont try using my old RSDE1, i've nearly killed the thing already :lol:

John-Henry

Hi John-Henry,

I cannot say for certain as I have only previously queried Axminster about 10in. thicknessers. But, I reckon you'd be looking for nothing less than 1,500m³/hour, if not more. Obviously, the more that you can get, the better!

Again, using the ADE2200 as an example, you can have two runs of 100mm pipe or one 150mm pipe - that would better suit your spindle moulder, if you went for an old Wadkin, for example. Otherwise, on a large bandsaw, you could have one hose going below the guides, the other collecting from the base of the machine. :wink:

I've seen this model appear on eBay many times; it really is a question of when and where. :) You also see a lot of old, large extractors (Elektra Beckum, for one) but, the sellers often neglect to state the specification initially.

Latest posts

Back