Chicken coop - but roof problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
My frsit big project but I seem to have come across a design floor. I have built the coop using 25mm t&g including on the roof but the roof is leaking - it would appear to be coming in through the joints in the t&g. I have used a sealant - brown stuff as used on window frames and put a small thin baton on the outside over the joint but no luck. Still getting in. I can't use felt as red mites that bite the chickens causing illness burrow underneath it - so the accepted knowledge seems to be never felt a chicken coop. Any ideas as the hens are arriving soon so unless I buy them an umbrella each.....

coopstainedside1307.jpg

coopstained21307.jpg

Getting them an umbrella each Rob is just being plain silly, how on earth would they hold them ?

Get them a so'wester each instead and tie them on under their chins of course :shock: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

(who used to keep chickens and had a similar henhouse but doesn't know the answer to this one :oops: )

Bit late now, but I might have been tempted to put Tyvec under the T&G to provide the water seal.

DomValente":1ow9lmka said:
Cedar shingles perhaps.

Dom

Umm, like the idea but not sure if I can incorporate that into the design at this late stage.

That was my fall back plan but I'm trying to do it without spoiling the look of the roof. Not sure if that's possible though.

True - will have to price them up. Never used them before though.

Hi Rob
How about grooving a piece of WBP ply as per your back door on the somerset swamps.
Or try the T&G vertical.
Looks good tho.

Feeling homesick, John!! Like the idea!!!! rather not pay £120 if I can help it as this project's budget has already spiralled out of control. Will email you a link to our new website...

I think our version hen house didn't use the normal tongue and groove proportions but had more of a wider overlapping rebate instead that shed the water better.

Not much help now that you've built it though, sorry !

Cheers, Paul. :D

Lets face it the t&g is running the wrong way on the roof and when we think of roof construction it must allow for some small movement tiles and felt/shingles do this.So redo t&g with wider battens to cover joints and use flexible mastic but still not guaranteed waterproof or see if you can get some galv. steel sheet to cover the existing arrangement fix with clout nails and it could be painted.One final thought are there any high tech 'felts' that will not harbour the mites.
The joint between roofs still look like a problem though, may be some rubber could solve it but it may be a maintenance issue.

OK a subject I know a little about. When researching the construction of my coop the perceived wisdom was to use Onduline sheeting at the roof material as you didn't suffer the problems of Red Mites. This is my effort:

P1020020-medium.jpg

P1020023-medium;rot:90.jpg

Now how you would adapt your construction I'm not usre but perhaps you fix the Onduline direct to your existing roof and I think there are Ridge pieces available - but since I went with a single slope I'm not sure.

In terms of mites they are a bit of an occupational hazzard, last year (which was our first year) we didn't see one, this year we had a major attack and they were a pain to get rid of - blow torch was the most effective!! What I did do and may be wise in your case was seal all the internal T&G joints on the walls as they were hiding in there and anothe product which seems to have worked is Durmatix and it may be worth treating the house with it first before you get the chicks in.

The other thing I couldn't spot on your coop was any ventilation - but perhaps it is on a side I couldn't see.

All the best

Andrew

Hi,
I think that your best bet would be to cover with Onduline corrugated sheets. Onduline is available almost everywhere. I last bought some from B&Q Reading for 7.99 per sheet of about 6ft by 3.5ft.

Main extra cost is from the special screws to hold it down and the ridge pieces but you won't need many.

regards
Alan

Latest posts

Back