Chest of Drawers - Completed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Some pics of the final piece finished this afternoon - been too hot to get in the workshop the last couple of days.

jig005.jpg

jig006.jpg

Second pic shows the arrangement for drawer runners - a 6mm piece of oak was routed into a groove and then the main drawer groove was routed below it, the drawer runs on another piece of oak slot screwed to the interior of the chest.
Not one of my favourite pieces but something that had to be completed fairly quickly. The laminated pine is not the best material to use by any standard but it does have the merit of you being able to munch something together quickly, which is what I needed in this instance. Finished with 3 coats matt acrylic varnish - beech handles (probably the best bit). Got to make a small bedside table now the same way but will probably take a little more time over the next one - Rob

Very nice, Rob, despite all the problems you had with the pine boards =D> . I really like your way of doing the drawer runners - should last for years without any significant wear.

Paul

Very nice Rob, If that was a quickie I would love to see your 'normal work' How did you join the drawer fronts to the sides by the way I see no dovetails, was it drawer lock joint?

Whole lot was biscuited together, drawers and carcass. For this type of work its ideal - very quick and easy - Rob

Rob. I think the chest of drawers is very nice indeed. Nothing at all wrong with biscuits, IMHO. I would like to see the bedside cabinet as I have to make one soon (might just pinch some ideas :wink:).

Bob

Rob, it looks good. I do hope the biscuits/glue are strong enough to resist the inevitable movement in those boards.

Andy

Nice job, Rob!

In the second picture, I can see a small, square hole in the end-grain of the drawer front where you've run a rebate through for the base of the drawer (plywood, I'd presume?).

I made the same mistake a while ago and my (former) boss had a go at me for it! But I didn't think it'd be very safe to start and stop a groove on a big and nasty spindle moulder. :?

In the end, I cut some square plugs and, trying to match the grain as best as I could 'plugged' the holes. (I still managed to put one in the wrong way around though!! :roll: )

You should be okay though. It's not often the drawer sides are on view anyway. Nince job, all the same. :D

Oswaldo! wrote:

square hole in the end-grain of the drawer front

Yup, groove routed in here for hardboard drawer bases (central muntin also fitted). On a job like this its not critical that all the niceties are observed....as long as its strong enough to do the job and won't fall apart. On anything half respectable I usually use quatersawn oak and drawer slips, drawer bases made from Cedar of Lebanon - Rob

Back