Chess pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst up in the loft over the weekend,mooching,came across
This
A chessboard,no not a cheeseboard :wink: i made about 20 years ago.
I had all the intentions then at some time to do the pieces but never got round to it.
So having so many off cuts meself now thought i would use some up and turn some pieces.
I've had a look on the net for ideas but nothing that i've seen as took me fancy.So have any of you got any suggestions.
Problem piece i think will be the Knight.
Paul.J.

Thanks Pete.
Where did you find that one.
Bodrighy wrote
16 pawns all the same
Yep that is the problem,but as was said about me table lamps,not being identical is what shows they are hand made.
Close enough will be good enough :roll:
Paul.J.

I have seen some really nice chess sets that don't follow traditional designs but I cant find the pictures. It something I have thought about doing but not got round to. Give it a go and good luck

I vaguely recall seeing a bulk preparation process - not sure if it was used for Ark animals mostly?, but I'm sure there was a mention of chess sets somewhere - detailed that showed profile 'ring' cutting/shaping.

I can't understand that myself! - let me try again.

Work out what a rough profile would be if cut like a slice from a turned 'ring' - I have this fuzzy image in my mind of creating horses heads this way, and I can almost see pawns, at least in rough dimensions. I guess they'd need rounding?

Rambling now - it's late! - hope this helps.

If you ae going to be cutting a lot of shapes the same in a spindle it can help to grind a gouge to a specific shape in oder to repeat the shape. I remember seeing this on a web site. If I find it again I'll post it.

Pete

Bodrighy":1qaeiu7e said:
If you ae going to be cutting a lot of shapes the same in a spindle it can help to grind a gouge to a specific shape in oder to repeat the shape. I remember seeing this on a web site. If I find it again I'll post it.

Pete

Thats a good tip Pete. I have done that a few times both for wood and metal turning to 'mass' produce certain parts. I called them moulding houges :D you can actually create very wide profiled gouges and then gently push in quite complex profiles till you reach the wanted depth.

I made a chess set for my daughter. I made the black pieces from oak and used wire wool and vinegar to blacken them. I got round the knight problem by hand carving a shield and painting it to represent the knight.
The pawns weren't a problem because as someone said, differences prove they are hand made.

Mike Darlow wrote a book on turning chess sets. Seeing the the examples in his book on design, it should give a couple of interesting variations on knights. isbn: 9781565232594

Hans

Latest posts

Back