Cherry Shaker Side Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening ladies and gents,

Having posted so many post about tools, I thought it was time to share my newest endeavour in furniture.
Having been at college for almost a year now. I've picked up a few basic skills thatI have used to create some furniture, after all that the point isn't it?
I've gone through many phases in woodwork, from tools, turning, making tools, collecting, tinkering, chairs and boxes ect ect. My latest craze and one I have a real passion for is shaker furniture. Mine is a more contemporary version of the original.
The thing I find most pleasing about this style of furniture is that it's furniture I could live with. I love gothic and over the top decorative stuff with banding and carving ect too but I couldn't live with it in my lounge, I find it suffocating to be around,
anyways I digress.
The wood chosen for this piece is traditional to its nature, english cherry. The wood itself is a pleasure to work with and kind on the tools, the odd bit of reverse grain is a nightmare but with a methodical approach this problem was easily taken care of.
The entire project was started and finished in my small, poorly lit shed :) All done by hand, apart from getting the timber to ruff dimentions and I used a band saw to taper the legs. The rest was just hand tools.
Its construction is mortice and tenon.
I had to work the timber to its final dimensions over the period of 2 weeks, this was done using a no6 plane. The legs I found to be the trickiest, as they have to be bang on square. Every piece of timber had to be checked for wind, twist, cup, bow, kick, you name it, the end results ensure a higher quality of work. Call it the foundation works.
Chamfer around the top was done using a no4 plane.
The arch was created with coping saw and spokeshave.
I haven't added the finish yet as it was only this afternoon that I finished the table and assembled it. I will detach the top and finish it as two pieces.
That will be started tomorrow morning, ill used a standard finishing oil.
this is the first piece I've made for my own flat and im going to keep building till all my furniture is made by me :) im still a romantic.
ill state that this piece is far from perfect but we have to start somewhere i guess..
let me know what you think and if there are any question id be happy answer them.

thanks

TT

Attachments

• DSCN1445.jpg
    DSCN1445.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 1,855
  • DSCN1441.jpg
    DSCN1441.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 1,855
  • DSCN1440.jpg
    DSCN1440.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 1,855
  • DSCN1439.jpg
    DSCN1439.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 1,855
  • DSCN1437.jpg
    DSCN1437.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 1,856
  • DSCN1435.jpg
    DSCN1435.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 1,856
  • DSCN1433.jpg
    DSCN1433.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 1,856
  • DSCN1432.jpg
    DSCN1432.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 1,856
  • DSCN1431.jpg
    DSCN1431.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 1,855
Congratulations! You have made a really excellent job of that table, Love the thick, beveled top and sweeps to the rails.
And finely tapered legs, all in all, As you say, A nice take on the Shaker Theme.
You're certainly not wasting you're time at that College, Keep it up, as the actress said to the..........
Regards Rodders

thank you for your kind words XY and Rodders, means a lot that my hard work is appreciated. i literally put my soul into this build. im happy with the way it turned out and my appetite for building furniture couldn't be higher.. stay tuned :)

thank
TT

Congratulations Toby. That's a really attractive piece of furniture. To my eye you have the proportions spot on.

John

Very good TT, I like it.
Quite graceful and light with those tapered legs, excellent =D>

Congratulations from me too, you little Anarchist!
You've made something you can be proud of which will stay with you.

I love the taper on the legs, it seems to float,

You have clocked the screws as well!

Hand tools are great they really give you a feel for the wood and you can listen to music as you work.

Pete

thank you everyone for you kind comments, means a lot.
the legs taper from 30mm down to 12mm,
well spotted pete i did clock the screws :) ,its very unlikely anyone will flip it upside down and check but its one of those where i know :)
anything thing i tried to achieve was continuous grain direction around the aprons, the pictures don't really show this to its greatest effect,

im thinking of making another table similar to this one but with two drawers.
again thanks for your kind word and encouragement.

thanks

TT

EXACTLY what I thought you had in you when you came here full of ideas and eager to learn.

It's been a long and exciting journey for me personally sharing this with you and I am absolutely gobsmacked and truly proud you are rising to the ranks of master craftsman

Mark my word mate...at this rate we will be seeing a LOT more from the Toby Nava studio in the future.

That table is gorgeous in both form and execution...I bet you're chuffed to bits!!

=D> =D> =D>

Jimi

jimi43":36gqnrmh said:
EXACTLY what I thought you had in you when you came here full of ideas and eager to learn.

It's been a long and exciting journey for me personally sharing this with you and I am absolutely gobsmacked and truly proud you are rising to the ranks of master craftsman

Mark my word mate...at this rate we will be seeing a LOT more from the Toby Nava studio in the future.

That table is gorgeous in both form and execution...I bet you're chuffed to bits!!

=D> =D> =D>

Jimi

A big thank you jim, you have been a great friend and helped me in woodwork from the start.
if i can help someone as you and others have helped me then ill me more than happy, we all need that shove in the right direction :)

TT

Don't sell yourself short, to me it looks bloody close to perfect.

Absolutely beautiful design and execution. I wish I was a talented as you!

I hope you're delighted and I will be watching your builds with great interest, Great work!

I agree with all that's been said - you should be justly proud of that peice. A 2 drawer console table in the same style would look excellent, shallow drawers.. I can just see it now - all you have to do is make it :)

I agree with all that's been said - you should be justly proud of that peice. A 2 drawer console table in the same style would look excellent, shallow drawers.. I can just see it now - all you have to do is make it :)

Excellent work, Toby. I seem to remember predicting that you would do well :)

Really nice work Toby, I love the proportions. Pity I'm not still in Bournemouth or we could share glue up tales over a cup of coffee. Keep up the struggle - well worth it when you produce pieces of such elegance.

Latest posts

Back