Cherry pot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will321

Reaction score
02P1020656_600_400.jpg
Cherry pot turned green. Microwaved for two minutes at 800 watts. Finished with Beall buff.

Attachments

• 02P1020656_600_400.jpg
    02P1020656_600_400.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 761
Looks like little pots are your thing at the moment Will, do you turn a lot of Cherry green?

I'm surprised you got away with microwave on full power as all the guides I have read use defrost for 2 mins, leave for 30 mins and repeat this cycle many times before moving on to higher power.

I will certainly try the full power method on something unimportant soon.

Good little pot, I like the shape. Sounds like you were cooking it, not drying it! But it seems to have done the job.

I just turned a cherry vase from a log that was felled only a week ago. I didn't dry it nor did I part turn it but took it straight down to around 3 or 4 mm all over and so far it's survived. I'm leaving it in the workshop for a while to let fuully dry before taking indoors though. I was careful to make the base concave so it won't wobble as it inevitably distorts a bit in the middle.

The pot warped a little after nuking but I like the distortion - it makes it feel a bit more lively. Uniform thickness helps a lot but that length of time is a little risky. The pot was cut from a quarter sawn end grain blank, dealing with the pith in cherry is asking for trouble. By the way, dimensions are about 6 x 5 inches.

I really like the shape and the wood, for some reason I want to pick it up :?:

Back