Cherry Extending Dining Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SP

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finished this. Top is 32mm solid cherry. Legs and frame took an afternoon to make - top seemed to take forever and eventually had to take it into a furniture manufacturer I know to pass it through his 4ft wide belt sander (wonder if that would fit in my garage?).

Anyway I'm glad it's finished. It was one of those jobs that wasn't really much fun but once started needed finishing.

Now I can move on to the more interesting sideboards and chairs.

1290556370_resized.jpg

Thanks.

Size is 80" long by 36" wide when fully open and 64" long when closed.
Size was dictated by available space in room, although the slides I used will allow more extension to be added at a future date.
Some more pics......

1290685066_resized.jpg

1290685081_resized.jpg

1290685089_resized.jpg

1290685099_resized.jpg

1290685107_resized.jpg

1290556412_resized.jpg

Finished it to 320 grit then 2 coats Danish oil applied and rubbed in with cloth, then 2 more coats applied with grey webrax and rubbed with grain. When dry a final rub down with grey dry webrax and then 2 coats wax. Phew! No wonder I'm knackered!

Lovely , beautiful colour, but why have you lipped the edge it gives the impression the top is made from veneered mdf or similar

Alan,

I thought someone might ask that, because as you say it does give the impression that it's not solid.

Two reasons. Firstly I wasn't sure I liked the look of all the end grain, and then to clinch it, when I was routing a final straight square cut to the ends the cutter tore out a couple of places. So that made my mind up for me.

I know it's maybe asking for trouble with differential movement, but in the last ten years I've never had a piece of cherry move significantly in anything I've made. Fingers crossed.

Thanks SP, two good reasons and it looks beautiful, I love the warmth of cherry. Just noticed your from the best part of the country :D did you get the cherry locally

Yes, got the cherry from James Lathams in Gateshead. I buy all my wood from them. Oak, cherry, maple, poplar and all veneered boards. Always had great service from them and if it's over a couple hundred pounds they usually deliver.

Robert Duncan is right next to them and they stock a good variety of stuff too, but never as good as Lathams.

Thanks I'll give them a try on my next job. I usually go to Arnold Lavers at Hebburn and pop in to see my friend but James Latham's is nearer

Hi, SP

Very nice table.

Where did you get the catches for the table top, I think I might need some for mine.

Pete

I know. Have to make 8 of them but can't find a style I like yet.
Off into town at the weekend armed with my camera and notebook just like Norm!

That's a possibility. It may be that I don't have to make them at all as my wife likes the present chair style but would like them in dark brown leather. So that would give a good contrast. Early days - better just get on with the sideboards.

Hope you don't mind but I liked your table a lot so I threw together a quick sketchup (missing rails & locks, and I used 25mm thickness instead of 32mm by mistake.). Middle 3 panels are removable

Table.png

Table2.png

Project file http://ninet.org/woodwork/sketchup/Table.skp

I was thinking Cherry for the table (same as you) but with a walnut inlay.

(Trying to get SWMBO to sign off on me spending money. :D)

Ryan

Latest posts

Back