Cherry bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I turned this last week from some cherry I got from a tree surgeon. It was turned green, soaking wet, so stuck it in the microwave a couple of times. Waited a week during which time it has warped a bit, then sanded and finished today. It is 180mm by 80mm. Any comments/criticisms would be welcome

cbowl3.jpg

cbowl2.jpg

cbowl1.jpg

I'd be pleased to make that - if you pressed I might suggest that the foot is tucked in a little too much, continuing the line of the curve as it curves back into the foot seems to impact the table rather than the foot; almost as if the reverse was a little too fast (if that makes any sense!)

Nice bowl :)

Miles

Did well to come out with that from wet Cherry, one of the more obstreperous of woods as far as home drying is concerned, must have hit the happy median as far as thickness and moisture.

CHJ":iw1z1b9u said:
Did well to come out with that from wet Cherry, one of the more obstreperous of woods as far as home drying is concerned, must have hit the happy median as far as thickness and moisture.

Can you do any kind of finish sanding sealer/oil etc when the wood is still wet or do you need to wait until it has dried out before you finish. I am having problems with having the patience to let things dry out properly

Buckeye":38av0r8d said:
Can you do any kind of finish sanding sealer/oil etc when the wood is still wet or do you need to wait until it has dried out before you finish. I am having problems with having the patience to let things dry out properly

Personally if turning wet to a finish I treat with Lemon Oil,not sure what happens with the solvent (white spirit) and moisture mix but it works and I get the impression it reduces the drying split risk. Once dry, (days/weeks) I have buffed and waxed when someone wanted a glossier finish..

Hello,

traditional finishes dry through solvent evaporation or oxidative curing. These processes do not tolerate the presence of moisture well. Lemon oil, suggested by Chas, is a non-drying oil, but it affects the drying, as slows down the evaporation rate of trapped moisture.
Perhaps the waxes are not disturbed by moisture too much, so you might be able to apply them successfully to not fully seasoned wood. But lacquer, lac and varnishes will not dry properly on wet wood, and the most telltale sign of that is the blooming of the finish film.

Wiping/soaking the wood with acetone or alcohol can speed up drying, as these replace water in the wood.

Have a nice day,

János

well done, as has been said.

Cherry is lovely but can be a pain for cracking, or at least I find it can be.

Looks great

Thanks for the comments. The foot is definitely the hardest part I find when turning a bowl as it is the area my lack of technique and method for reversing the bowl is lacking.

Back