Cheerio

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Olly

I machined the elm oversize.
Brought it into a centrally heated house for 5 weeks or so
Machined again and brought it inside again for about the same time then finally machined and assembled.

It has shown no sign of movement to date, but it has all been sealed so fingers crossed.

dicktimber":15di1por said:
Woodbloke

The point is you ranted,
children do this, not grown men.

really :roll: - mr pot meet mr kettle

this for example

like i said you are one of the biggest ranters on this site , and yet you seem blind to the double standard in hammering rob for daring to suggest that your work isnt perfect.

I agree with rob that the metal runners are fugly and let the whole piece down, and as to constructive alternative how about concealed metal runners, under runners, or carcase construction - all already suggested on this thread

I have to agree with Rob, he only gave his opinion which after all is the reason why this unit was offered for view. The only rant I have read was from the OP who seems to have been offended by somebody having the temerity not to admire his construction.

It does seem like it sometimes that the most ridiculous praise is heaped on the most hideous piece of rubbish rather than the critique the piece deserves. Be that from a newbie or experienced woodworker.

Harry

It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, I'm going to name my first child after you (then drown it in a river)

Happy now?

If you put something in a public domain you invite criticism, ask a politician.

Back on subject, are those Blum under-drawer runners the acceptable compromise, freaking expensive though they are? You can't see them but the drawer still behaves as if it's on BB runners. I can't make up my mind on this one...

Aidan

Nice looking piece Dick and you've tamed the elm well, you just need to get Richard F to turn you some nice knobs :D

With regard to critique I agree with Paul and Rob, I don't like metal runners but I struggle to see what else would have fulfilled your design brief without being overly complicated. Good job well made

Cheers

Damian

PS - I've got something in my current project that is guaranteed to annoy Rob :D

I will concede from a functional point of view, these hideous things were a necessary evil...perhaps (note the delicate diplomatic phraseology) some of those Blum runners that could be hidden would have been a better solution? The small 'footprint' of the piece and the weight it needs to carry really dictates that something other than traditional construction needs to be employed. My comments were based on an aesthetic viewpoint rather than a functional one.
Certainly if it were my cabinet I wouldn't be able to enjoy the contents 'cos every time it was opened I'd see those bloody metal monstrosities :lol:

Damian - sap? 8-[ - Rob

If its any help I made a cabinet a while ago and needed to use metal runners - but wanted to hide them away. So I used the Blum under-drawer runners - not cheap but well worth it!

DSCF6225.jpg

DSCF6183.jpg

DSCF6185.jpg

Hope this helps,
Philly :D

I saw this a couple of years ago at the Phillyshop...and very good it is too. Those runners are the bad boys that I think would have been better in this instance - Rob

wow Philly I don't remember ever seeing that piece. Are the sides 'rippled'? If so, how did you do it? This is a style I've always wanted to do.

woodbloke":1qi65mqr said:
I saw this a couple of years ago at the Phillyshop...and very good it is too. Those runners are the bad boys that I think would have been better in this instance - Rob

I note that there is no knob on that - are those babies push to open as well ?

Tom, I'm pretty sure it was on his old blog (Philsville) though, right now, I can't find it...?

Not sap Rob (as this piece is oak and oak sap is awful, soft and won't fume well) but something equally offensive.

So has Dick taken his bat and ball home then?

I thought on balance he had a good response with more thumbs up than down

Nice cabinet Philly, the drawer is interesting, it looks like it's floating which I would have thought would be great but when I look at it I'm slightly unerved by it, that said it's probably the effect you were after and acheived.

Aidan

I have removed several posts and edited one that remains. The Projects section is no place for people to lose their manners.

By all means be honest and forthright in your opinions here but name calling etc. is unwarranted and pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back