Cheep chainsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been able to get some logs over the last month or so but cutting them is giving me problems. I have been using hand/bow saw, metal wedges and axe to cut them down.

My local Argos is selling an electric chain saw for £45. http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... 1500952079 Is there any reason I should not get this to ease my poor bones?

I have had my time of buying cheap tools, but as I only expect to cut a log or two as required.

with something as dangerous as i chainsaw i would avoid any cheap makes as the quality will be poor.

I bought one of the argos cheapy spear and jackson 16" petrol ones when they were on offer for £59.99 as it's sole purpose is to simply cut bowl blanks, only use it once or twice per month, with a little care it seems to serve its purpose OK, The only reason I opted for petrol over electric is so I can keep it in the boot of the car for those opportunistic fallen trees you always see when you don't have one :p

I will however probably replace it with something more substantial as and when I can afford it though as it struggles a bit. OK if you take it slow enough and cut along the log as opposed to straight through the end grain.

That electric one only has a 13" bar and I do find the 16" one can seem a bit short when cutting logs for 8-10" diameter bowls at times, may well be worth a scour of ebay for something a bit longer and with some more poke.

I hope that you're also buying the safety gear to go with the chain saw? Something tells me that occasional use may be as (or more) dangerous that "often" and without the safety gear that could be very bad for your health. When I get a saw I am expecting to spend 1/3 on the saw, 1/3 on the safety gear and 1/3 on some good training in the proper use etc. Though I have to say I'd expect to have to spend more than £60 on the trousers, gloves, shoes :)

Miles

miles_hot":idrazh6t said:
I hope that you're also buying the safety gear to go with the chain saw? Something tells me that occasional use may be as (or more) dangerous that "often" and without the safety gear that could be very bad for your health. When I get a saw I am expecting to spend 1/3 on the saw, 1/3 on the safety gear and 1/3 on some good training in the proper use etc. Though I have to say I'd expect to have to spend more than £60 on the trousers, gloves, shoes :)

Miles

Quite right.
Chainsaw boots alone will probably cost at least £45. Trousers another £50 and gloves at least £16. Also, some sort of face/hearing protection is a must. Possibly another £20 for basic set without helmet.
See here

I would be a liar if I said I thought about the PPE. I think I will give it a miss.

Any one any other ideas how to split down logs easier to make some blanks. The biggest about 12" wide.

I have bought this saw from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... IN+SAW.htm

It works very well, cutting logs up to about 15" in diameter.

However, for cutting with the grain it is pretty useless, in common with other chainsaws. For this I make a starting cut with a chain saw and then use metal wedges and a sledge hammer (plus the occasional bit of 4x2 :D ).

Agree with previous posters on the need for safety equipment, though.

Mike

Steven":5a2hrud8 said:
I would be a liar if I said I thought about the PPE. I think I will give it a miss.

Any one any other ideas how to split down logs easier to make some blanks. The biggest about 12" wide.

Good god, are you sure? You have seen how fast these things will go through wood - just think how fast they'll go through you! I know that you think that it'll never happen to you but then so did every single one of the people that it did happen to. Maybe if you're that Intrinsically lucky you should be doing the lottery so you can pay someone else to do the work? :)

Regards

Miles

miles_hot":16umrv2s said:
Steven":16umrv2s said:

Good god, are you sure? You have seen how fast these things will go through wood - just think how fast they'll go through you! I know that you think that it'll never happen to you but then so did every single one of the people that it did happen to. Maybe if you're that Intrinsically lucky you should be doing the lottery so you can pay someone else to do the work? :)

Regards

Miles

Miles , I read this as he will give the chainsaw a miss :wink:

I threw away my cheapo chainsaw as it scared me too much (and yes I was lucky while using it without PPE :oops: )
I now use a Hitachi reciprocating saw with blades for green wood.
It's much safer - if you get careless you just bend the blade...
It's much slower than a chain saw but works for me, now.

henton49er":o5e0pcon said:
I have bought this saw from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... IN+SAW.htm

It works very well, cutting logs up to about 15" in diameter.

However, for cutting with the grain it is pretty useless, in common with other chainsaws. For this I make a starting cut with a chain saw and then use metal wedges and a sledge hammer (plus the occasional bit of 4x2 :D ).

Agree with previous posters on the need for safety equipment, though.

Mike

My chainsaw (Bosch electric) copes ok at cutting with the grain. Not as fast as a cross cut but take it slowly, don't force it and it gets there. Produces some wonderful long shavings. It's possible to get a chain specifically for ripping but I've never used one. AFAIK the difference is the angle of the teeth. I wonder what would happen if you had alternate angles on the teeth - one for cross cut, the next for ripping etc.

I have owned 3 electric chainsaws - a Black and Decker, that was almost useless even before it burnt out, which did not take long, a Skil which was not quite so bad, and now a Makita. The Makita is so much better. It happily cuts up medium size logs and will cut down the end grain quickly enough for making a few bowl blanks. I used it to make some 15 inch sycamore blanks a few days ago. And I haven't sharpened it yet since I got it, it's processed three trees so far and I'm very happy with it.

I did not get the chain saw today, it was meant to be a cheap saw to save my back but I can not justify 2-3 times the price of the saw on PPE. After talking to someone today that had a band saw bite back, I thought I would wait.

On the up side I am £45 closer to the new band saw and pillar drill :)

Latest posts

Back