Checking on Elm logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanglefoot20

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All.

I have got an Elm log that has checked across the face...wondering how if at all how to remove it....do I face off or cut the end off.,hopefully removing the check.
The log is about 7” diameter and 9” long
Hopefully somebody can guide me on this

Do you mean 9 inches or nine feet?

Did you seal or paint the ends?

What do you mean by "checking"? Do you just mean cracks or splits.

How are you storing it?

I would probably seal the ends with paint or molten wax, and dry it slowly. I've used a lot of Elm. It moves a lot. Just have to accept that.

Thanks for reply.. I meant it looks like a split across end face and I painted it with pva .... I just tried to remove the bark but noticed the end split.....I would like to make a vase from it but I’m a bit weary now to carry on...
Is it worth face off to see if crack/split disappears ?

Thanks

To turn it safely you will have to remove the split wood. As you will have to remove the bark, do so as it's a good way to see how far the split has travelled & it's not detrimental as there is little moisture loss through the side grain.
Then remove the wood as far as the split unless you want to get arty & make it a feature.
If the split has gone too far you should get two nice bowls from the two halves of the log.

You can of course fill the split with something, Epoxy with a coloured powder, CA with same, or just dust, as long as it isn't too severe or affecting the overall structure, strength and safety of the item, sometimes you can cut a short bit off and then lose the split by reducing the diameter, either overall, or just at the end. It all depends on the size and nature of the split.

Back