Check this out...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever noticed that a woodworker with a wood stove is a woodworker who never makes a mistake! :)

I have a fix for that! ;)

Since my workshop in the unheated basement* is short on space, I built my pillar drill onto the woodburner down there.

Obviously the stove can no longer be used - which is no hardship as the only time I lit it I was sweating profusely after a couple of minutes - but there's no scope for burning any evidence there. Anyway, those mistakes just ensure that there's a good supply of the scraps that are always useful in a multitude of unanticipated ways.... :D

*Uheated is a serious factor here: we live on a mountain with a forest on three sides, so it's pretty much always damp and -30+C isn't unusual in the winter; high 30s in the summer likewise. Being mostly underground, my workshop has a heater and dehumidifier running 24/7 but the price of electricity has rocketed since we use Russian gas to produce it - and Ukraine is pretty close. I may need to look at an alternative solution!

I am sorry to hear that. For the longest time I used two antique stoves. One built around the civil war in the USA. The other taken out of a vintage hardware store from turn of century. Burned my share of wood!

I don’t know how things are going to go with the oil and gas market. I know space heaters are evil. Forget what they cost. Your going to get killed on the electrical bill.

My soon to be ex girlfriend decided to spite me. She burned my collection of exotic timber. About 5000 dollars worth and most of it on CITES. The court denied my contempt motion.

I have a line drive planer and a line drive pattern lathe. Been working on a boiler and steam engine on and off to run it. Maybe I should rig a generator up as well. Going off grid often sounds better and better.

I am sorry to hear that. For the longest time I used two antique stoves. One built around the civil war in the USA. The other taken out of a vintage hardware store from turn of century. Burned my share of wood!

I don’t know how things are going to go with the oil and gas market. I know space heaters are evil. Forget what they cost. Your going to get killed on the electrical bill.

My soon to be ex girlfriend decided to spite me. She burned my collection of exotic timber. About 5000 dollars worth and most of it on CITES. The court denied my contempt motion.

I have a line drive planer and a line drive pattern lathe. Been working on a boiler and steam engine on and off to run it. Maybe I should rig a generator up as well. Going off grid often sounds better and better.

I lived off-grid in a 600-year old mas on a mountain in France years ago. It was a tough life but I enjoyed it immensely. Nowadays I'm too decrepit to even think of lugging 50 litres of water or 45kg gas cylinders 3km up the side of a mountain - bad enough in the summer but murder in the winter.... :D

The last time I was there it took me over a week to hear about some aircraft crashing into a couple of skyscrapers in the US.

I have a fix for that! ;)

Since my workshop in the unheated basement* is short on space, I built my pillar drill onto the woodburner... <SNIP> Anyway, those mistakes just ensure that there's a good supply of the scraps that are always useful in a multitude of unanticipated ways.... :D

*Uheated is a serious factor here: <SNIP> Being mostly underground, my workshop has a heater and dehumidifier running 24/7 but the price of electricity has rocketed since we use Russian gas to produce it - and Ukraine is pretty close. I may need to look at an alternative solution!

I don't have room for a stove to burn any scraps of wood as my *space* (such as is) is extremely limited and put most in to a couple of buckets/bins which I try to sort out regularly. Problem I find is having sorted and recycled at the local recycling centre (2 minutes away) I then have a WIP project where those particular scraps would have been ideal. Has happened in other ways of sorting "rubbish", getting rid of and then a need for the "rubbish" arises about two weeks later 😀

As for your location and having electricity from Russia... don't envy you and hope you can come up with an alternative 👍

At times of great stress and nothing right yeh fully agree to walk away and recharge your brain cells , chill with a couple of beers or fruit based drinks for the ladies, have a damm good moan to anyone and everyone who will listen and by the time you go back to the job, project you will have cracked it ( not literally mind) staying on the job getting madder by the minute will end in disaster.😩😩

Back