Check out these puppies...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoops!

Established Member
Reaction score
Have idly been thinkin' about updating my old Scheppach TS4000 tablesaw. Damn good piece of kit, but just getting a little tired around the edges. Problem is I cannot justify the cost of a new one, and I would definitly recommend the latest TS4020.

And then I spotted http://www.lyndhurstwoodworking.co.uk/t ... _139_1.htm.

I phoned the guy upand had a chat about the world and its mother and also learned that they hope to start importing http://www.lagunatools.com/tablesaw.tss.htm

Now I am interested as the prices he mentioned were definitly in my range. :p , I really like the one with a gold surface, All it needs now are go faster stripes. My Scheppach tables are Brown, for goodness sake,how nasty is that??

Does anyone know about these Laguna tools. Are they American made or Far Eastern? I was so busy drooling I forgot to ask. =P~

Decklan

None of the machines they sell are made in the US. Laguna is an importer of European made (perhaps some Asian) machines. They are just going to be variations of the ones you already have there under the origional makers or re-branded names.

yes I can't quite understand why they are importing Laguna aswell as the new DEFT range. Unless they are going to import Laguna's Panel saws of course.

wizer":9jzfmybj said:
yes I can't quite understand why they are importing Laguna aswell as the new DEFT range. Unless they are going to import Laguna's Panel saws of course.
Which one, though? The Z3200/NZ3200 are Roblands, the others look like Sicars (but they're Italian). Either way there are already importers here so they'd probably not be able to.

Scrit

I think I'm getting confused with who makes what for who. I saw the Deft range on the website, so who are they then??

I hadn't realised that the Italiens were so big in quality machine production. I knew they did loads of tooling, but not the machines. Whenever I think of Italien made stuff I think of leaky Alpha Romeo's, broken down Ducatti's, and dodgy electrics. Oh, did I mention peeling chrome.

Been 'European I am aware that I should be thinking of aquaducts, Hadrians wall, the Colosseum etc,etc, but I can't help it, rubbish electrics come to mind...

Obviously I'm wrong these days :roll:

Decklan

You may have to look a bit further east, Deklan; I remember seeing a Laguna "table saw" reviwed in FW that was made in Bulgaria. A budget Rojek? Solid but agricultural?

In short. I don't think Laguna is anything to get excited about yet

The deft range looks impressive, however.

broken down Ducatti's, and dodgy electrics.

They didn't have electrics, at least most of the time they didn't, it always seemed to get lost somewhere between the battery and what ever you wanted it for!

Roy.

Just received the latest FWW - there is an advert for Laguna Tools which features their Platinum Series - looks very similar to the DEFT.

From what I remember Laguna seems to have a good reputation in the States?

Rod

Average from what I have heard from The Wood Whisperer camp.

For those that are interested in one, have a look at the Laguna/DEFT Platinum videos on the Laguna web site:

http://www.lagunatools.com/videos/panelsaw.platinum10.htm

I think the fence details are different but other bits are common to both?
The DEFT Silver T30 which now includes several free extras (table extensions & blade) and free delivery costs £795 which to my mind seems good value?

Rod

I agree Rod, the T30 saw looks the bees knees, no sliding table tho. I don't think it's an option either?

Yes the Jet wins on that operation.

Also the Laguna talks of the dreaded Dado and comes with 2 table inserts - no mention of that on the DEFT site?

Rod

no I suspect only woodford are brave enough to sell the arbour extensions.

WiZer - it comes with a Dado insert :shock:

deftig4.jpg

Rod

:shock: :shock:

Have you bought one?? (machine I mean)

Arrived this morning - took most of the day with a help of a friend to unpack and assemble - there's a lot of very heavy metal!
Very glad I also bought the optional wheeled base - don't know how we would have managed it without it?
My friend (retired woodwork teacher) is very impressed with it.
Still have to sort out a 16amp supply and now really need a bigger workshop - it's much bigger in the flesh!

Rod :)

Finally got the 16A electrics sorted, cleared a bit of space around it, switched on and it works!
Too early to give a proper review but it appears to do what it says on the box! (F&C have done a review and Laguna show it off in a series of videos)
I fitted a Freud blade instead of the one supplied (because I already had one).
The tilt and height mechanisms are very smooth and the fence glides easily on its nylon feet. Although it comes with quite a reasonable mitre fence I am using my Incra one that I bought a few years back (and have only been able to use it on my router table which has the correct sized slots!)
I have only cut a few pieces but everything including dust extraction works well - my only minor gripe is that the blade fence dust outlet requires a small diameter connection to clear the sliding blade fence panels.

I will give an update in a few weeks when I have modified some of my existing jigs to fit the mitre slots and it has had a fair trial.

I see from the Popular Woodworking mag. that the Steel City Saw is a sister design too - but it comes with a granite top!

Rod :)

Back