Cheapest Hardwood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailorjack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Shipmates,

Im after a bit of advice regarding Hardwood. My next project is to build a Rustic Table (6ft) and chairs (six). The only problem is ive only worked with softwood so far and the prices have been reasonably cheap. Can i have your thoughts on cheap hardwood verses ease of use/quality/recommendations etc.

Your comments would be most appreciated

Jack

Is this an indoor or outdoor piece, you could get away with air dried timber if it's going outside.

Jason

Jack - this pile of American White Oak, 1", 1.5" and 2.5", has just cost me £90

ef20d4b5.jpg

.... and will make something similar to this with a bit left over.

ef88cefb.jpg

HTH.

The cheapest hardwood I know of is commonly called poplar or tulipwood - both being misleading names for liriodendron tulipifera which is commonly used as a secondary wood in cabinet construction. I have made a suite of bedroom furniture (except bed) from it and stained it to look like walnut. It is not very strong so designs should be a bit conservative in this respect.

Cheers guys for the information and advice, will no doubt come in handy.
Roger, - Where did you source your American White Oak from? Was it a local supplier if so can i expect to pay the same sort of price?
If anyone has a list of expected prices per (whatever the denomination maybe) for soft/hard woods that would be great :lol:

Cheers Jack

Jack - the American White Oak was a local purchase from http://www.atkinsandcripps.co.uk/ .

This is a really useful link kindly provided by waterhead37 http://woodgen.com/timber.htm .It may cover your area.

As a guide, AWO from Atkins & Cripps costs from £21.20 + vat per cu ft for 1" thick. Ash is around £16.60 +vat per cu ft for 1". All provided sawn only. If you fancy English Oak it'll set you back over £40 per cu ft.

HTH

Back