Cheap Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Sander Link

I need to sand down the walls in the house, new ceilings, that sort of thing. I don't want to spend too much as this may not last afterwards. I have alot of 150mm discs that i can use and this sander offers 125 and 150 pads.

The question is, i may purchase the small PP extractor to use in the shop and try and connect to the back of the sander. Will this work to remove some of the dust or will this sound like it's sucking the inners out of the sander?

Andy

Hi,

I used the same extractor on my sanders in the workshop. It worked well until the bearings gave out - which wasn't very long, just a few working hours. I replaced it with the larger (yellow/black)PP workshop vac, which looks altogether better quality (it has a 3-year guarantee). Only time will tell if it is any good or not but at £60 it's not a bad punt.

I doubt it will last any longer sucking abrasive dust let alone wood dust. If it lasted long enough to do the house sanding then maybe it's worth it at the price. I wouldn't want to ruin a more expensive suction device with plaster dust. The best type of dust extraction I would guess would be a cyclonic vacuum, prefereably one that can be used without a secondary filter (which if the cyclone filter is not the best, will quickly clog on the superfine plaster dust) without expelling too much dust.

I notice there are lots of cyclonic vacuum cleaners around now, at a fraction of the cost of a Dyson. Might be worth considering?

cheers,

Ike

Hi Andy

May I permitted to ask why?

If the walls are that bad, maybe you might be better getting them reskimmed. Certainly MUCH less dust. Also, when you remove the top 1/2mm of plaster (which has been floated smooth by the plasterer) you will find that the stuff underneath will never get as smooth as that outer layer DAMHIKT.

Or lining paper ?

Roger

Ike, thanks for the reply. I think i may have explained this wrong. :?

I will be getting the PP extractor for the shop anyway, to use along side the RSDE2. I was wondering if having this rigged up to the sander, will it remove alot of the dust so it doesn't end up around the house. I notice a few people have this extractor rigged to the router table or circular saw but no comments no rigged to a sander.

Roger. The walls are fine. I have to fit a new ceiling in the kitchen, which will be taped and filled so i wanted a sander for that. We have a large wall that has had graphics painted on and these have many layers on paint in places so i wanted the sander for that too. It's small enough jobs to sand by hand but i'm a lazy pipper when it comes to sanding :wink:

Andy

LyNx":3rkyvvxz said:
I was wondering if having this rigged up to the sander, will it remove alot of the dust so it doesn't end up around the house.
It might take the dust from the sander but I doubt it would keep the dust in the extractor - I've replaced a cheapy vac which blew fine dust everywhere with a Festool which doesn't. I'd never go back to a cheap vac now.

Pete

not sure if that will work. It's not the colour coming through, it's the shape of the painted graphics. You can see the high points already and i think it'll look alot worse once painted white.

Or am i missing the point :?

LyNx":2zi58quc said:
not sure if that will work. It's not the colour coming through, it's the shape of the painted graphics. You can see the high points already and i think it'll look alot worse once painted white.

Or am i missing the point :?

No...not at all. I understand your problem. I use a cheapy Skil sander for similar work but the dust....yikes.

So do you think adding this PP extractor to the PP sander will remove alot of the primary dust. OR am i barking up the wrong tree?

Andy

Andy,

It worked fine on various sanders, ie. both coarse and fine dust.

Are you referring to the little black and red PP extractor bout the size of a petrol can? If so,

No real loss of suction in use. The thing has a cloth bag with a plastic 'Grip strip' to close it after emptying, plus a coarse foam pad on the outlet.

As to unfiltered dust - it wasn't obviously noticable in use, but it might let through more plaster dust, I never used it for that only sanding wood.

If not, I'm confused :?

cheers,

Ike

i will look to see if they have this one in our store, if not i may go for the larger £60 version.

Andy

My wife used to insist on using an electric sander to do walls. That was until I bought a couple of sanding plates (one mounted on a pole).

Lumps and bumps etc get scraped off with a scraper.

Back