Cheap lathe tachometer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naxie

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a direct copy of a post I made on another forum. I was asked in another post to post the pictures but not wanting to hijack that thread, thought I should start another.

"A little mod I did to my lathe today that I thought might be of interest to someone.

I called in to Halfords this morning and picked up one of these Halfords | Halfords Value 5 Function Cycle Computer

With a rare earth magnet on my lathe spindle and careful mounting of the sensor and routing of cable I now have a digital tachometer and a handy clock on my lathe!

photo-10.JPG

photo-11.JPG

You need to set the wheel circumference on the speedo to 268mm if it reads in mph or 167mm if it reads in kph. The figure in the readout, 10.0mph is 1000rpm, 2.0mph would be 200rpm etc.

An easy and useful mod for less than a tenner! "

Kind regards,
Ed

Attachments

• photo-10.JPG
    photo-10.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 2,200
  • photo-11.JPG
    photo-11.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,200
I have always worked on the principle of 'up the speed till the bit flies off. refit it and slow it down a bit'. Always works and they are really nice at Carcassonne hospital :shock: :shock:

The biggest problem for me is that it would cost a fortune to get to Halfords :? What's the setting if you get one in Knots?

No seriously. That looks like a nice easy mod =D> =D>

Well John, if my maths is correct you need to set it at 309mm :wink:

I'm off to France in August to see the in laws, I'm trying to persuade the other half I need a mini lathe to take with us "just in case the need anything", but I don't think its working.

Kind regards,
Ed

Latest posts

Back