Charnwood W635 Saw Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wachenga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm thinking of setting up my own workshop (for business), I've been looking at various machines and a decent saw bench is on the list, amongst others (see further on). This one looks promising:

http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/Cha ... bench.html

Why? Well the price seems decent at close to £1k and it has a scoring blade which is important, I intend to do quite a bit of veneered carcasses.

Does anyone have any experience with this saw or with Charnwood bench saws in general? Are they any good? Reliable? Accurate?

Whilst I'm here, I've also been looking at the Charnwood W584 planer thicknesser:

http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/Pla ... _W584.html

The spec sheet for this also looks pretty good. Anyone, as above, have any comments on this?

Would I be pushing it to ask about this also?

http://www.charnwood.net/ProductDesc.js ... ckref=W750

Well, I figure you've got to colour co-ordinate ;-)

Many thanks for your time.

Liam

Hi Liam

I guess you just got missed :roll: :)
I have not used much of Charnwoods bit ( small bandsaw and chip collector and a friend now has the bandsaw), but from what people have said about them on here.

They seem to do good bits and I hope this help plus as I have post on here some that knows more might add :)

Ps Its always nice to colour co-ordinate when you can :D

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply. I'm certainly interested in the dim saw and band saw but I'm not sure if the P/T is a bit of overkill. The Scheppach hms 2600ci is another option and a couple of hundred quid cheaper although a little bit less spec. All three machines are new to the Charnwood line up so I guess it will take a while for thoughts and opinions trickle through to the forum.

Cheers

Liam

Hi Liam
What sort of work will you be doing as you could go for some thing like the SIP/Fox saw as a few people have it and are very happy with it but no scoring blade.
Plus it about half price :D

Hi Colin,

Good question, a bit of everything, hopefully. I finished my level 3 City & Guilds cabinet making in June and have been looking for a job in a workshop since then but without much luck. So I've decided to jump in the deep end and set up my own workshop. I've already got a few commissions lined up that vary in size and complexity, from an easy chair in Imbuya to a front door in English Oak, so a P/T with a decent sized table length is important for the latter. I'm pretty experienced with veneering too hence the scoring blade requirement for the table saw. A trip to Capital Crispins in Bow would convert anyone to the possibilities of veneering, they have some truly lovely veneers there - no affiliation just a happy customer.

Thanks again

Liam

Liam
I know what you mean about Capital Crispins as I have and use to go to Crispins before they merged with Capital.

Its good to see that you have some commissions as that can be the best way to go if you can get a good name and a few good customers.

I have been working for myself for almost 4 years ago :shock: .

A scoring blade is helpfull but you can run a knife down the line or make a panel gauge like a cutting gauge :)

Latest posts

Back