Charnwood Viper 3 chuck..... Anyone have any thoughts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

For the past few weeks I have been looking to purchase a new chuck to go along with my new lathe. I initially bought an axminster k10 but I sent this back as I wasnt too keen on it, as it turns out it was a good move to send the chuck back as the new lathe has a different spindle size that what I had previously.

Anyway.... back on topic haha!

I have just seen that charnwood offer a viper chuck which is relatively new to the market, has anyone had any hands on experience with these? I have seen them at the woodturning show in the botanic gardens a few months back but I didn't really pay much attention as I wasn't looking for a chuck at the time. I have also just phoned the company local to me that sell them and they cant really say a bad word about them, now I am trying to take what they have said with a pinch of salt as they are the ones that are selling them and do not stock any other brands (as far as I am aware).

Now from what I can see, they seem to be pretty decent value for money, it states that the jaws are suitable for the dakota xt700 and the fox fx4000, would I be right in assuming that these jaws will also work with sorby and record power chucks? I dont have any other chucks but it would be a good advantage if they do work with the sorby and record range as the range of jaws would be exceptional!

Thanks for looking guys!

Hi

The Charnwood site says it's jaws are compatable with the Record Power RP4000 which means any of the 'Nova' jaws will fit.

Teknatool, (the original manufacturer of the Supernova chuck), jaws will also fit.

http://www.charnwood.net/shop/product/9 ... pindapple?cid=15

Not sure if the Sorby Patriot jaws would be compatable.

Edited to say - I wonder what changes they have made from the W836, (which was, I believe, identical to the Dakota XT700), other than to make the indexing plate an £8 extra instead of being included in the basic spec.

Regards Mick

Back