charnwood thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prawnking

Established Member
Reaction score
any body got any charnwood powertools, is the build quality any good or would i be better going for axminster, metabo, dewalt

I had a bad experience with one of there routers 'not fit for purpose' i will not be purchasing from them again .

Hi Prawnking

Given that you can only find ONE member who has a Charnwood thicknesser perhaps speaks volumes?

I'm not sure where the Charnwood compares on price but I have been bitten in the past by buying the least-cost option.

At least 3 of us have the charnwood See this Thread

Basic but does the job, I'd say fine for occasional use, my model does not have an NVR switch but thats not likely to be a problem unless you have power cut in middle of task.
Like all thicknessers its noisy so you are keen to switch it off immediately you have finished anyway.

Paint finish not the best, but if you are just after a tool that does the bulk of the work for you I'd say OK.

Fine cabinet finish, repeatable thickness resetting problematical, but like all stock preparations if you are likely to want more of the same then just run a couple of spare lengths through at same time.

Mine has worked hard on reclaiming old timber without problems.

funny enough at the time of your post i was looking at the metabo thicknesser on ebay £289 looks good made an offer £270 wait and c will let u know
cheers
shaun

Prawnking
Dont give up on the charnwood I like CHJ have had one for a few years now, good finish, no snipe and often to be seen taking 3mm off oak in a single pass. They are a hard working no fuss no frills machine.

Bean

Prawnking

I have Charnwood dust extractor, bandsaw, lathe, morticer. All are several years old and none have displayed any faults or problems.

No frills stuff that is as good as Axminster Perform range (or better in some cases)

Back