charnwood spindle moulder bobbin sanding any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
If anyone has the charnwood spindle moulder and bobbin sander machine can they tell me if the bobbin sanding spindle works or is it just a throw away extra? And what sizes are the bobbins, also can you fit other bobbins from another company to make a bigger set.

Basically i really need a bobbin sander and at £360 for the jet ( I had the SIP-not so good) i may as well get a second hand charnwood spindle moulder for £400 (and get a "free small spindle moulder)

Buuuuuut, i have a very nice router table and lift so dont reaaaally need a spindle moulder buuuuuut if the bobbin sander was reeeally reaaallly good, And i could modify it to use 5 sizes of bobbin it may just make sense.

I would really appreciate any opinions here as i am at prersent firmly and categorically undecided. But need to act fast. of course

Cheers

First off I know nothing of Charnwood and have no experience of a sanding bobbin in a spindle moulder, but I do have a cheap small bobbin sander and that only really works well because it not only revolves as you would expect but oscillates up and down, this helps the grit to stay clear of dust, and the speed is far slower than a spindle moulder would ever turn at. The killer for abrasive is always heat and clogging so a bobbin really needs to run at the right speed and to oscillate. so if it's a bobbin you need get a purpose made machine and do it properly.

You could also build a suitable box and table for the drill press and use your bobbin that way. The rise and fall of the DP table will allow you to make the most of your sanding belts/drums. Of course you'll need to have a drill press.

Back