Charging NiCd Batteries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have some NiCD batteries for my camera, whcih require a 10hr charge. I know that one is supposed to discharge them completely before charging (not difficult with my camera!) but my question is, does the charging time have to be continuous?

Where I am going in Sierra Leone they do not have power 24/24, so I cannot guarantee a 10hr continuous charge. If my batteries have, say, 2x5hr charging times, will it affect them adversely?

It's not a big deal, I can easily replace them (here anyway), but I was wondering about the effect on them.

CHeers
Steve, who is discovering tools he had forgotton he had got.

I would say so Steve,because if you charge them for 5 hour's ,50% charged and started charging again then it would be like putting them on charge 50 % used :?, although i wouldn't be bothered if they were only cheap.
If i used my camera enough i would buy the 1 hour charge versions,(aa batteries). :) Also the crv3 i think lasts for ages (double aa size) ideal for holiday's you proberbly know that but....

Thanks for that ANdy, yes I see your logic. I didn't know there were 1hr charge versions, what are they called? The CR3 won't fit mine, it's a funny diamond arrangement (Fuji S6000 something or other).
Cheers
Steve

you maybe would be better off if you could get hold of nimh type replacement batteries which seem to be available as an alternative to nicd type for most cameras. These do not suffer from the effects of incomplete charge / discharge cycles. However if you consider the nicd s as disposable, it could be cheaper in he end.

Splitting charge time is not a problem, the memory effect is a myth from early satellites and cycling batteries is only really necessary when fast charging i.e. over 1c ( 600ma into a 600ma battery etc ) so you have a reference point on how much to put in there.
NIMH batteries do have a larger capacity but they have a high self discharge and will quickly flatten themselves if stood and they have a high internal resistance meaning they can't deliver the current that a nicad can. Having said that though NIMH batteries are better suited to camera use and a set of 2000ma AA cells lasts me a full weekend of Air show photos in my Fuji S7000 usually around a few hundred pictures!

Gerry

Back