Changing Gears on Union Gradute lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulkane1

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a Union Gradute Lathe,I need some help to show me how I can change the Spindle Speeds, I've opened the top hatch of the Lathe ,there's 4 pulleys, the belt is on the biggest rim,which says 425 RPMs,then it goes along to (790),(1330),(2250)RPMs,corresponding with the 4 pulley wheels,I want to increase spindle speed to either 1330,or 2250RPMs,Thers 4 pulley wheels at the bottom of the lathe,could someone show me either by photos or preferably a video how I change the Spindle Speeds,All help would be greatly appreciated,

Bouts Kindly Paul

Just inside the doorway where the motor is at the upper right hand side is a shaft with a plastic ball on pointing down ...move it so it points up
change your belts then move the ball back down
Job done

flh801978":f3xtxi21 said:
Just inside the doorway where the motor is at the upper right hand side is a shaft with a plastic ball on pointing down ...move it so it points up
change your belts then move the ball back down
Job done
Thanks,I have just noticed that there is only 3 Pully Wheels on the motor shaft,while on the Spindle Pullys there is 4 Pully Wheels,I can change speeds up to 1330 RPMs ,but,how can I move up to the highest RPM of 2250 ?because if I change to matching Pullys on both Spindle and Motor and lock the Motor ,the Pully Belt is too slack? Do I need to modify something for me to get Top Spindle Spees of 2250? All help appreciated.

Paul

phil.p":xi7zrmi9 said:
If you've one three way pulley and one four way pulley the belt is bound to be too loose/too tight/out of line at some stage. You need to match one or the other pulley - ideally two fours.
I know it sounds odd, I'll try and get a good light onto the Motor Pullys,and double check,if I knew how to post a photo of the Motor Pullys ,I would show you what it's like,I can't see what the reason would be to remove the Top RPM Pully?I know I'm a novice ,but ,there is no bigger Pully wheel behind the last wheel ,Thers a gap ,then it's the wall of the Motor.

Has the lathe been in use in an establishment where they would not want the operatives to run it at high speed, school for instance?

CHJ":2yb1fuo3 said:
Has the lathe been in use in an establishment where they would not want the operatives to run it at high speed, school for instance?
I don't know ,but,I was thinking that way myself,If it was in a school,Was there some Education Board that said the Lathe was not allowed to turn above 1330 RPMsI honestly don't see the logic?Would you know if it's hard to replace the 4 way Pullys onto the motor spindle? and,what price would a set be?Ill try and upload a image to show you.

paulkane1":yx7a9mye said:
CHJ":yx7a9mye said:
I don't know ,but,I was thinking that way myself,If it was in a school,Was there some Education Board that said the Lathe was not allowed to turn above 1330 RPMsI honestly don't see the logic?Would you know if it's hard to replace the 4 way Pullys onto the motor spindle? and,what price would a set be?Ill try and upload a image to show you.
Can't upload image,file too big,I've doubled checked I'm 110% there's only 3 Pullys at the motor

Boy does this bring back memories. I learned to turn on one of these at school and we weren't allowed to change the speed. Such a pain anyway none of us ever tried.

Pete

Back