Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Lay shaft/ counter shaft - for coronet major

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Lathe User

Reaction score
Hello Iam in the process of making a heap of bits (coronet major - maroon) into a useable piece of kit for a friend.
Their first need is to use the lathe primarily for bowl turning but also some spindle work. Having found the leg attachment and rest, worked out a plan for an adaptor and Chuck ( lots of good info on this forum -thanks) I have turned my attention to speed. The motor is an original with 2850 rpm , the smallest pulley combination is 2 inch driven to 4 inch spindle so that’s 1425 rpm.
The owner is a young novice and with 1425 being the slowest , that’s not great for bowl work I am told . Don’t want to change the motor because he wants to make use of the saw, planer and morticer kit ( when I get them built). Looking into electronic gadgetry but that’s adding a lot to his outlay which leaves a counter shaft arrangement. There’s nothing in the heap that bears any resemblance to that even though the bowl rest setup was there, painted green, so maybe a later purchase?
I noticed joe the drummer produced a good looking shaft arrangement back in July 2013. I would like more details please before I make one. Has anyone else on the forum made a similar set up - if so. How did the belts tension? Is having only one slower speed ( aiming at a 2/3 reduction through an additional 2” , 6” combination pulley on the counter shaft) a real pain and do you have a better design.
I need to get this part of the project up and running before Christmas, so I need to put my skates on any help would be appreciated I assure you.

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
1425 RPM is too fast for an out of balance piece of wood rather than too fast for turning.
Can't help with your query other than to offer a copy of the manual & some advertising which show the lay shaft.

Attachments

Lathe User

Reaction score
Thank you Robbo , very helpful , it shows how it was intended to tension the belt. I would really appreciate a copy of the manual.
Does anyone have a M19 that could give me a rough set of dimensions. Even a set of colour pictures would help me construct one.

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
In the additional advertising there is a photo of all the extras including the lay shaft. No dimensions but you may be able to work them out from the scale of known bits.
You need to start a conversation & give me an email address.

Lathe User

Reaction score
I have only made 2 post on this forum and it appears I don’t have PM facility at this time . I have only seen the 2 page advertisement so far. Not sure where to go next

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have only made 2 post on this forum and it appears I don’t have PM facility at this time . I have only seen the 2 page advertisement so far. Not sure where to go next
I think you only need another post to use the PM/"conversation" system.